Sep 12, 2008

What is in a name?

My surefire way of dealing with my fear of things not matching is to have white walls everywhere. It just makes things easier. But you can see by the picture that I am seriously thinking about painting and...gasp.... not using white.



One small problem, do you notice from the picture how many different directions I could go? I had recently listened to my hairdresser talk about Kilz brand paint for a whole hour. And I happened to be in Wal Mart with no children and no shopping cart of my own to block the teeny tiny aisle by the paint samples so it seemed to be destiny. The only negative part of not having a kid with me was that I had no one to blame for all the little color samples I kept taking. (why are those perfect little cards with colors on them so addicting?)I bet you would never know that I headed into the paint section with a goal to find a suitable green? I got a little distracted. I know you will feel the urge to tell me to get "good paint"at Sherwin Williams or Home Depot. But Consumer Report seems to think the brands Wal Mart carries are good so I am a believer and I am very cost driven.



I discovered this week that "someone" in the family had hung all 27 books of the New Testament up in the Basement/Seminary room with packing tape? Did you know packing tape can very effectively take things off of your wall things that most people usually want to stay on the wall? So that person is sad but loving the excuse to paint. And she will paint the basement first and the kitchen second. She will bravely make decisions. She will mask first and paint second :) And she would never choose a paint strictly for it's name...or would she?



Who names the paint colors? I am dying to know. And could I live with walls called Bison? Vesuvian Garnet? Hoot Owl? When was the last time you saw a color on a wall and said to the owner, "oh my goodness that is the exact color of hoot owl?"



What I honestly would love is if the very creative person who names the OPI fingernail polish would see the fun to be had in naming paint and leave the lucrative naming nail polish business. I mean with nail polishes with names like "Aphrodite's Pink Nightie", "Cha Ching Cherry" and "Skinny Dip'n in Lake Michigan" think what they could do for paint colors. No more would your friends, who have a paint color on their wall that you need in your house, ever forget the name of that color that you NEED because it would not be named something boring like "Hunter's Glen" or "Dried Basil."



So painting is my newest obsession. All the walls in the house have the paint the builder chose and it is not paint for families of 7. I hate marked up walls. And the paint that is currently occupying the walls in our house will not give up a single mark, it holds on to them like glue, making me ever so sad.

8 comments:

Kay said...

When I needed to paint a bedroom recently (which had not been painted in 35 years), Mindy's four year old helped me chose the color at Home Depot. He chose "Popcorn Ball." Think he was influenced by Primary songs or by food? Have fun.

Jenny said...

Jennifer! Yes, our friend is Tanya Hepworth. What a great coincidence! What a small small world!

jcmcmt said...

I have 3 words for you: touch-up paint. When we moved into one of our new houses in California, it had a winding staircase. For some reason my kids loved to drag their dirty little hands all up that curved drywall. Pretty soon there was a dark gray "stripe". I just got the exact same color/type(flat) of paint that the builder had used, and once every couple of months I would just paint over the ugly "stripe" and any other offending marks all over the house. Worked like a charm and blended in perfectly with all of the surrounding paint.

Anne Marie said...

Good luck with painting. I do love those little cards of paint colors. My twins do too, apparently. Because the last time we went paint shopping at Home Depot, we left with many of them, mostly the Disney ones since they were in the shape of Mickey Mouse (does this qualify as a runon sentence yet?).

Kelly Tillotson said...

paint sample cards are VERY addicting and perfect for punches and cut-outs for scrapbooking...have fun!

Jenn said...

I like the one pinkish color in the midst of the earth tones! I love to paint! I looks so nice when it is done!

Kristy said...

Who are you and what have you done with my girlfriend Jennifer Baird? She would never, ever paint color on her walls.

Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. The only thing for scuffed up, dirty walls.

Melissa said...

I love to paint- the tricky part is finding the right color. I've found that if you see a color you like in another house it's always helpful to ask them what paint color it is. Wal-mart can match colors so even if it is a Benjamin Moore color they can get pretty close with the Wal-mart paint.