Oct 8, 2008

Waffles in your food storage?


If there is ANYTHING in your life that you need motivation to do I highly recommend asking the people who make that decision in your area if you can be a seminary teacher. Actually if you are serious about needing motivation just tell them you are going to do it don't ask.


Last week we spent 2 days on the Second Coming in Seminary and let me tell you between intense studying of that and watching our little economy lurch about as it is I am thinking about food storage 24/7.


I have never been able to wrap my mind around food storage. I believe in it. I want to do it. But how to do it with foods that I cook with?...which lately means food like Eggo waffles. It does not seem right to have 3,120 Eggo waffles in your food storage and not only that but to have spent $390.00 on them. I searched the prepredness articles and I can find nothing on the freezer life of Eggo's....not to mention their nutritional value.


How to do it and not go into debt? My good friend Shelley H. Who lived in Lawrence mentioned once that she spent ten extra dollars a grocery store trip on a few extra things for food storage. That made sense to me because in everything we do it is better to plug along at a slow, "taking small steps" pace. I actually do that $10 thing but it is not as focused as I am sure Shelley's plan was. So I have a lot of cream of chicken soup and tomato paste.


I have tried ever so hard to make myself understand how to translate the requirements for a year of food storage into something do-able for my family. I always take advantage of dry pack canning opportunities but the problem with that is that I just get so emotionally involved with the thought of those #10 cans nicely stacked in my basement that I forget as I am merrily dry pack canning that we do not eat pink beans (but they have come in handy for craft projects) or hot chocolate and so I can them and end up giving them away.


Speaking of dry pack canning are you a "pouch" house or a #10 can house? I need my food storage to look good and slouched over pouches do not meet my needs:) But I want you to know I realized that was very "surfacy" of me so I recently repented and put my big 50 lb sacks of flour into the pouches and actually quite enjoyed the process. I am still a little disturbed by their slouchy ways but I will get over it.


The current system at our house is I send a kid to the basement with a clipboard to write down everything I have on the shelves. This job makes Amanda and Zach ever so happy. It really appeals to their OCD they actually always voluteer to do it. I predictably panic at the news they bring to me on the clipboard and I immediately purchase 100 lbs of wheat and a ton of tomato sauce and that seems to assuage my guilt for awhile. Then I make sure to keep that, ever so nice, list they made and never do anything with it again until about a year later when I send Amanda or Zach down to the basement to do it again.


Yesterday with thoughts of desolating scourges and economic crisis swirling in my head I sat down yet again to try to make a plan. I was able to make a really momumental decision about how much peanut butter we need. I buy the package of two jars of Skippy from Costco for $7.99. I need one a month so that would mean for a year's worth I need to buy 6 of the two packs of peanut butter which will be $48.00. There was that so hard? Baby steps.


I spent about a half an hour reading back through all the information about being prepared and then spent the rest of the afternoon wondering why some kind soul does not write a little old pamphlet for me that says exactly what to store for a "family of 9" that:


#1.Has a dad that thinks food storage consists of having numerous weapons and toilet paper and who also thinks if we get to a point that we are grinding wheat that we should "just kill ourselves."
#2.Has a mom with one or more learning disabilities and cannot focus.
#3.Does not eat canned vegetables. Frozen or fresh for us.
#4.Needs 600 rolls of toilet paper a month :)
#5.Has a 12 year old that is allergic to wheat, milk, eggs, peanuts and soy.


You know how you are supposed to only put things you actually eat in your food storage? Well at this dismal moment in our lives that pretty much is just Eggo waffles. (Are you getting the idea that we eat Eggo waffles?) I have an enormous but very boring list of super good reasons as to why we are not eating meals that include the wheat, dry milk, honey and rice that is currently in the basement. But I hate people who make excuses so I better not share the list with you :)

Is it wrong to keep thinking that when the time comes and they are hungry they will eat whatever you have? I cannot seem to find an official quote to that effect anywhere.

So all that said tell me how your food storage is going :) And if you need some good scary scriptures to motivate you I have some :)










6 comments:

Annie said...

Food storage for a family of 6:
24 cake mixes
200 bags of egg noodles
200 bags of angel hair pasta
200 jars of spaghetti sauce
200 boxes of mac and cheese
2 cans of powdered milk
400 packages of biscuit mix
50 gallons of maple syrup (yes, I'm kidding about most of this, especially since what would we do with all those cake mixes and no eggs?)
At least 100 pounds of chocolate chips. For medicinal purposes.

Brianne said...

Food storage is scary! It is always in the back of my mind...but it's hard to start. The whole rotation thing really messes with my mind too. I wish it was much more simple!

Camie said...

Yes--I am so there with you!! I've been watching way too much news and I'm now in panic-mode about food storage. And we ate down a lot of our food storage during graduate school. My main approach to food storage is to NEVER open a #10 can. I only have a few opportunities to go to the cannery every year, and so I feel like that stuff is there for the long term at my house. Plus, everything lasts for 30 years now, so once I have it, I've got it. It's much easier to replace stuff on a few-month rotating basis and then know I have that long-term stuff for the long term! Good luck figuring it out!

Alyson said...

Jennifer, you have expressed perfectly the dilemmas of planning food storage.

And has anyone thought about tampons? Do you have your year's supply of tampons? What would you do if you did not have any tampons? Could you make them out of materials that you have around the house? Or would you have to go without? Doomsday would be nearly unbearable without tampons.

Melissa said...

I agree with Alyson- and toilet paper...I need toilet paper.

My Many Coloured Days said...

One word:

help.