Oct 3, 2008

Of Dial Up and Fluff.


The Baird family has dial up. There I said it out loud. If you ever try to call us and hear an actual ringing sound on the other end of the line you should take note of the moment and definitely leave us a sassy message on our answering machine. There are 3 teenagers with Facebook and AIM(instant messaging) living in my house. There are two little girls who recently discovered Polly.com and Barbie.com. And there is one mom who needs to blog and e-mail. Joe the 12 year old can take it or leave it. And Brian works at this cushy place that has high speed Internet so he does not understand the pain:) I usually can complain a few times a day about my dial up Internet connection but yesterday I actually thought of some virtues of the situation.


As you all know I have been longing to change the look of my blog. As I look at more and more blogs I get swept away in all the glamour, all the links to click on to take you to amazing places, all the oh so perfect pictures, the amazing backgrounds and borders, the awards. I come back to my humble blog and usually I feel a little stubborn. I really do not want to change it. To me my blog is about what I write not how it looks. But then I notice there is nothing on my blog to pull you in and catch your eye nothing to keep you here long enough to actually start reading so you can realize I love long sentences. I painfully realize that everyone else has figured out a way to take a perfect picture of themselves where they must hold the camera up and look up at it and then manage to get their hair to cover one eye ever so perfectly. If you notice my picture is a straight on shot taken by Amanda when I caught her standing in the bathroom combing her hair and said hey, take a picture of me....and she did right there in the bathroom :)


I know exactly what I want my blog to look like. I am a very simple person. I spent all day yesterday looking at 190 of the 272 blog backgrounds on Cutest Blog on the Block's website. There is some cute stuff on there but I am not sure if it is me. While I was looking at the 272 blog backgrounds they have to offer is when I decided there was some virtues to the dial up. I would pull up a page of 10 blog backgrounds and while it was coming up I would leave the computer room and go do housework. The first time I did dishes then I came back looked at the backgrounds clicked "next" and then left and went and washed windows while it pulled up ten more backgrounds. I go the floors swept, some drawers organized and all sorts of other things. Aren't you high speed Internet girls jealous? I only made it to #190 of the backgrounds so I will surely get more housework done today. Although, I confess I only found 2 out of the 190 that I was interested in so far. And even then I am just not sure if it is me. Can a blog go through a midlife crisis?


Another good thing about the dial up is most of the time I can read your blogs but I rarely wait long enough for it to pull up your beautiful background. Why is this good? Because then I don't feel bad and think I need to make my blog look better :)I remember the day I had clicked on a blog and then ran to do something that took awhile and when I came back I was in shock when I saw all I had been missing on this particular blog.

Dial up Internet connection is defined as an Internet connection that requires a phone line and is generally slow.....yep, that is what I have. A 2008 Internet and American Life project study stated that only 10% of American Adults still use dial up. I wonder if I win something?

I worry that someone may be trying to call me to tell me that my kids are in the nurses office at the school bleeding to death. I worry that someone may be trying to call me to tell me I have a job interview at Border's. I worry that we will show up at soccer and it was cancelled but no one could get through to tell me. But what can I do? Now that I think about it I should get off the computer just in case :)

And I think I owe all 40 of you who read my blog a fat check for therapy because just blogging about it helped me to realize that I will be okay if my blog does not have all the very cool fluff. After complaining about it and fiddling around with it I have finally come to embrace who I am....."plain white wall girl." So don't be too shocked if this old blog just stays the way it is and definitely laugh out loud at my hypocrisy if I add some fluff. By the way what is the definition of fluff anyway? Oh, it is "something of no consequence."

12 comments:

Topher said...

If it's any help, I read all my blogs via Google Reader which means I only go to the actual blog when I comment meaning I don't see a lot of the filler folks have (links, songs, etc). I'd rather read something great like your posts than see pretty scrapbook backgrounds (I'm just not into that, being a guy).

Also, we've only had high-speed for about six months. Once you go high-speed you never go back.

Camie said...

Jen--
Believe me, you don't need to add anything to your blog! You are definitely my favorite blogger because of your witty, creative, well-written posts. So don't worry about the fluff and keep being the 'white-wall girl' we love!!

another day in the life of... said...

I thought fluff was that white stuff i like to eat with the peanut butter in my sandwiches. your blog is great, plus 40 readers? that is awesome. what have i got? a 1/2 way cute blog that nobody reads. but it's still good for therapy...

another day in the life of... said...

ps: you don't have to commit yourself to one background. you could change it everyday if you wanted to. think, no commintment, no defining who you are. besides, i'm sure we could find something that says, "I'm the white walled girl!"

Jenn said...

I like a gal who knows who she is. I agree with what others have already posted. It is the material that matters most. ...About the "fluff" stuff, hmmm.....I like this definition of "something of no consequence"!!! I consider myself to be padded with lots of extra fluff, if ya know what I mean ;)!!!LOL

Kelly Tillotson said...

im a sucker for that sugary marshmallow spread, what can I say.

DeAnn said...

WHAT??? "there is nothing on my blog to pull you in and catch your eye nothing to keep you here long enough to actually start reading"
Oh Jenn! Anyone who is anyone just KNOWS that your blog is great and entertaining. Nothing is needed to pull us all in. You alone. LOVE it! I'll take the white anyday ;)
Keep writing!

Kristy said...

I am not into the fluff, either. I like your blog just the way it is! Check out my plain old blog for a taste of my taste. You are great writer and regular blogger, and that's what really counts!

Alyson said...

Not only is my blog pain, but it is a copy of my friend Kristy's blog. Here's hoping you leave yours the way it is. Don't change the blog, don't change the pic.

P.S. You missed my birthday. You are slackin,' girl! Even Kristy rose up from her chemo bed and gave me a call. Dang; what is that seminary calling DOING to you?

My Many Coloured Days said...

Loving what I now know is a towel rack in your profile photo!

I'm a reader reader too... so no worries about any sort of fluff. We're pulled in and plugged in!

Anne Marie said...

LOVE this post!!!! Your blog is perfect just the way it is. You need to write a book one day. Perhaps just make a compilation of your great blog posts.

Alyson said...

If you do write that book, which is a good idea, I will edit your punctuation. Although, on second thought, that is part of the fun of your blog.