Nov 2, 2008

Blessings in Disguise.




Everyone knows that when you have a car that had been paid for and it gets into an accident and it gets totaled that you are NEVER going to get enough money back to replace your car that you had paid for. Everyone who hears of a car getting totaled always offers their condolences because it seems to be universal knowledge that you never walk away from this situation with happiness in your heart. Well I am here to be the first person you have ever known who walked away from a totaled car with happiness and love for the insurance people.


The blue book on a 1999 Volkswagen Beetle Bug that is black and has a faded NRA sticker in the back window and Cheerio crumbs on the floor was about $4,800 and you all know you never get the Blue book price. So we were looking at cars in the $3,000 range on Craigslist and hoping we would not have to argue with the insurance company to get that amount. So when we got the word that we were getting a check for $5,500 we could hardly contain our joy.


I left the car shopping completely up to Brian. I have a track record of begging for totally unrealistic cars for our family. So I said that, "I did not care what I would be driving." Then I said, "it did not matter." I also said, "let's just make sure that we do not spend all the money so we can have some to save or buy some other things we desperately need." All direct quotes. But I confess when my husband finally settled on a 2003 Kia Sedona mini van I behaved poorly. I have a difficult time with reality. I was secretly hoping for a Mercedes 450 SL convertible or a BMW Z9 Cabriolet. So it took me a full day to get over the disappointment and to behave like a grown up.

I think what finally made me "come to Jesus" about the Kia was that it only cost us $3,700 so we had extra money which meant on Saturday night we got to have a family outing to Home Depot where I found a clearance fridge that matches all my other appliances in my kitchen and thus is allowed in the house.

You all know I have been without a fridge in the house for almost a year and we have all been dreading the approach of another winter of traipsing to the cold garage to get our fridge items. So now because of a semi truck that could not stop before hitting me we have a mini van that I will learn to love if it kills me and a fridge which I loved at first sight and if you do the math I even have extra money that I am sure we will spend :)

So I am focusing on the fact that I have a sunroof in my minivan which puts me one step closer to a convertible. I have a tape deck and a CD player which is very cool. I have way to many reclining seats so that I am sure to have something to yell at the kids about. And Brian must have paid everyone in the ward to tell me how great Kia's were today at church so that I would feel better.

By the way I think I figured out how I can still blog everyday...... If it is my reward for getting my Seminary lesson done :) Clever huh?

9 comments:

Kelly Tillotson said...

thats a nice lookin' fridge!

Melissa said...

Very pretty!! I want pictures of the mini-van...We had a KIA sophia for 10 years- it was a great little car for us.

Melissa said...

I'm also glad you found a way to keep blogging! Yeah!

Brianne said...

Congratulations on the new fridge! It looks like it matches nicely with the rest of the kitchen.

Jenn said...

I like the red one still! LOL. This one matches perfectly.

Camie said...

Yay! I love your incentive--I think it's much healthier than my usual incentive, which is something from my kids' Halloween candy!

Anne Marie said...

yay for a new fridge! Looks beautiful. Glad that things worked out quite nicely.

Alyson said...

It is good for the Bairds to get a break once in awhile.

Kristy said...

So glad the new fridge is welcome in the house! It looks great. I'm especially glad you've found a way to keep on bloggin'.