Nov 23, 2008

The Books on The Top Shelf.

I was just sitting here staring into space wondering what I was in the mood to blog about and I had the brilliant idea that I should blog about all the books on the top shelf of the bookcase in my room. So here it goes:



The Google Story by David A Vise
I read this last summer and it was fabulous.


Spiritually Centered Motherhood by Sherrie Johnson
Inside the front cover of this book it says, "Jennifer Baird June 1989." Need I say more. I was young I was sure I could be the perfect mother. This actually is a great book with amazing ideas. I just sadly could not keep it up :) My book for 2008 would be entitled "Using Candy For Motivation Centered Motherhood."



Walk In His Ways (part A and B)
There are a few books I always go to when I have to give a lesson or a talk and these are two of them. They are old Primary manuals that were first published in the 70's. I used them the most when I was Primary President. They have great attention getting ideas for their lessons. I would be SO sad if something happened to these books.



Gospel Principles
Another great simple reference book all about basic Mormon beliefs



Beware, Princess Elizabeth by Caroline Meyer
Never read it. bought it for Madeline and I have no idea why it is on my shelf.



The Screwtape Letters By C.S. Lewis
I have been through two different book club discussions on this book. It really is a great one. Easy and fascinating read once you figure out that Satan is writing letters to his nephew about how to tempt us. Just FYI He really has us figured out :)


The 21 Balloons By William Pene du Bois
Hopefully you have all read this one.


Cold Sassy Tree by Olive Ann Burns
This is one I discovered in my book club in Indiana. It is a great story set in the South about an old, prominent, rich guy in this town of Cold Sassy. He marries a young beautiful girl not from the town when his wife dies. Very funny and yet a little sad reading about all the town does to make this poor ladies life miserable.


Complications by Atul Gawande
I read this for the first time on my yearly Seattle trip 2 years ago. I cannot pick it up without thinking of sitting in the rental car in a very long line waiting for the Port Townsend Ferry. All sorts of amazing and fascinating stories written by a doctor from Boston. I highly recommend it.


My Antonia by Willa Cather
I really like this book and I had yet to be in a book club where most people did not like this book until this year in my book club here in Massachusetts where quite a few people did not like it and found it boring. It really surprised me. I love Willa's descriptions and was surprised to find people who did not like to read about the prairie and how it looks every hour of the day :) I had never had to defend Willa before.


1984 By George Orwell
Never read it. This is Brian's contribution to MY shelf. The kids have read it for school.


The Joy Luck Club By Amy Tan
It has been a long time since my Amy Tan phase. I can barely remember if I liked it.


The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck
Another one that it has been a long time since I read. This happens to be Brian's favorite book.


A Day No Pigs Would Die by Robert Newton Peck
Another great book that I discovered through book club.


The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton
Strangely this story fascinates me. And while we are on the topic of Edith Wharton how about that Ethan Frome? I thought for the longest time that Ethan Frome was my favorite book and then I left high school got married had a few kids and read it again and wondered what my problem was :)


Gathering Blue by Lois Lowry
This is the sequel to The Giver. When I think of this book I think of our big white van driving to West Virginia because we listened to the book on tape

The Book of Mormon by Moroni
If you have not read it it can change your life if you have an open mind while reading it and then pray to know if it is true when you are done :)

Taggerung by Brian Jacques
Brian Jacques wrote the Redwall series. About 7 years ago when it was Madeline's turn to spend part of her summer in Oregon with my parents she got hooked on the Redwall books and she and my mom spent a lot of time going from used bookstore to used bookstore searching for all of them. I think there is close to a thousand in the series. (exaggeration) I read the first 2 and enjoyed them. Joe is actually hooked on them now and Taggerung is one of the series.

Left Behind by Tim Lahaye & Jerry B Jenkins
My dear friend Sharron Cluff got me hooked on these books many years ago. They are all about the "rapture" actually happening.

The Return Of The Native By Thomas Hardy
I REALLY want to read this book and just have not had the time...oh looky here there is a Southwest airlines beverage napkin marking my place in this book...hmmmm.....I must have started this :)

Up The Down Staircase By Bel Kaufman
This book is one I remember being on my parents shelf when I was a kid and I read it then. I have not read it since but for nostalgia purposes I bought it for .25 cents at the library book sale.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten By Robert Fulghum
We all know it's true:)

Mrs. Mike By Benedict and Nancy Freedman
This a great book about a woman's experiences in the great Canadian Wilderness with her new husband. Lots of very interesting stories.

Breathing Lessons by Anne Tyler
Another book club book from Indiana. Different from anything I had ever read. It's about an older couple and their life and what it had become. How they are comfortable with each other, how they drive each other crazy and about their kids lives and how that has affected their life.

A Room With A View By E.M. Forester
One of my favorite's. Who does not love this movie?

Webster's Dictionary
Not just any dictionary. The one my parents bought for me at some Costco in Washington in 1986 for me to take to BYU with me. And strangely the only dictionary we own.

Persuasion By Jane Austen

Mansfield Park By Jane Austen

Angle of Repose By Wallace Stegner
Another favorite of mine. Wallace Stegner has the amazing "describing" gift that I wish I had. He chooses such perfect words that everyone knows exactly what he is talking about and wishes they could have thought of saying it that way first :)

Elson's Pocket Music Dictionary By Louis C. Elson
I have had this since I was a kid and I cart it everywhere with me.

Persuasion By Jane Austen
Mansfield Park By Jane Austen
Sense and Sensibility By Jane Austen
Pride and Prejudice By Jane Austen
The Watson's By Jane Austen

Just seeing them all listed there probably speaks volumes :) Hey, who did I loan Emma to? It's not there.....ahhhhh.

Year of Wonders By Geraldine Brooks
I ended up owning this book after a book club Christmas book exchange. It is a novel about a plague. And how people are changed by catastrophe. I think I liked it when I read it :)

Harry Potter and The Sorcerers Stone By J.K. Rowling
This should be downstairs with the other Harry Potter books that disturbs me that it is in the wrong place :)

Moby Dick By Herman Melville
Never read it. Really should.

Seabiscuit By Laura Hillenbrand
This book I read about 4 years ago on my trip to California for my Grandpa Ord's 90th birthday. I always had a soft spot in my heart for true horse stories. I went through a stage a s a teenager that I headed straight for that section in the library and devoured books about Man of War, Seattle Slew, Secretariat, and many others.

The 7 Principles for Making Marriage Work By John M Gottman Ph.D and Nan Silver
My parents are teaching a marriage class and they gave all of us kids this book. I know I should read it but I haven't. But Zach has :)

The Articles of Faith By James Talmage
Who does not love James Talmage and all his amazing info :)

The Best Christmas Pageant Ever By Barbara Robinson
Is it sad that I have not read this book?

Christmas Jars By Jason F Wright
Another one I have not read.

The Ox-Bow Incident By Walter Van Tilburg Clark
I thought I had bought this book for Brian but I just opened it and there was my name Jennifer Ord and my very old BYU phone number written in it. Hmmm I wonder why I do not remember it? I wonder who I was dating when I was supposed to be reading this?

Great Expectations By Charles Dickens
Another confession.... I have not read this most likely must read classic.

The 5 Lessons a Millionaire Taught Me. By Richard Paul Evans
Great title. I wonder where it came from?

The Temple By Alfred Edersheim
This is another one of Brian's books that is on the wrong book shelf.

He and I are always moving each other's books around trying to steal coveted bookshelf space from each other. He actually said to me the other day that all the books on this particular shelf next to the computer where his and so this is maybe a good time as any to prove that only 2 books on the top shelf are his...thus making it my shelf :)

Hey, guess what I learned after spell checking this post? Book club is NOT one word. Were you al waiting for me to discover that :)

5 comments:

Anne Marie said...

Thanks for all the ideas in here!

Camie said...

Love, love love this post!! What a perfect, fun thing for me to read while I'm supposed to be making my grocery list for Thanksgiving week with company here. But I definitely want to challenge you to read the best Christmas pageant ever. I read it to Lydia last year--it's so cute and I really think you'll love it! Read it by your fire with your little girls this winter. And I added a few of these books to my 'to read' list. Thanks for a great post!

Kristy said...

Very fun post you have here! I haven't read several of these. Must add them to my Amazon wish list.

Jenn said...

That is an impressive list of "top" books to read! :p

Laura said...

I love this post! and the great quick review of books!! I am challenging you this Christmas to read Jason F. Wright's "Christmas Jars" it's awesome and you won't regret it. Then blog about it!

Speaking of Christmas Jars, I work with Jason and thought you’d like knowing he has a new contest on his web site where you can win a free trip-for-two to his hometown in VA, the Shenandoah Valley. All you have to do is mail him a Christmas card! All the details are here:

http://www.jasonfwright.com/triptosvalley.php