Nov 21, 2008


It is that time of year again. Mitten and glove time. I realized this morning as I was calming child #7 down after she lost patience with her gloves that perhaps this may be the last year that I will have to call on "the force" to help me be patient with a child that cannot get their fingers matched into the spots provided for them in the glove. I should have added this skill ,I have refined throughout the years, to my resume when I was job hunting. Who would not be impressed with someone who can calmly and rationally explain to an out of control child how to hold their fingers apart and get each one in the proper spot in the gloves? Nothing is more frustrating than getting 2 fingers in a spot for only one :)

I have never had a child that would sit calmly on the floor and just deal with this. They immediately and very completely freak out. I do not ever remember one of them coming to me calmly and asking for help. I will first hear uncontrollable sobbing from some coner of the house I will remember it as a "winter sound" and I will say a prayer that I will not loose my temper with the ever so innocent glove and go deal with it.

Maybe it will be something I will miss when they are all gone......although I highly doubt it :)

4 comments:

Kristy said...

You are a very patient mommy. There was a time there for a while when I would only buy mittens. And I only have two boys!

Camie said...

I'm with Kristy--I keep them in mittens until they can handle the 'glove thing' on their own! So this year I have one in mittens and one in gloves--but we are in them full time with the cold weather here!

Whitney said...

I have to say this post made me laugh a lot. The whole 2 fingers in one hole? Well, have you ever noticed how many disney characters only have 4 fingers? Let's just say people get comfortable with 2 fingers in one hole after a while! Love reading this, and I miss your family so much! Especially since it's Thanksgiving. =[ Glad I can at least keep up on here!

My Many Coloured Days said...

How can you take an every day event and make it funny?! I'm thinking of blogging about the lost mittens and hats... ugh!