Feb 15, 2009

The Answers To Over Thinking And Carmex.

Now I am going to tell you something and I do not want you to panic when I tell you or worry your pretty little head. Because even though I have Sitemeter I do not know how to use it to know who you are. So if you find me fascinating and you are stalking me, carry on, because even though I have Sitemeter and should know you are stalking me, I don't. Half of you come up as "unknown" on my Sitemeter. Which definitely frustrates me. What I usually do when this happens is imagine I know who you are. I see your "number" come up and think to myself, "ahhh there is 67.145.354" what a good friend they are. :)

When I started blogging exactly one year ago on February 6. (Yes, my "blogiversary" came and went. :) I got discouraged pretty quickly at the lack of comments. In my mind comments equaled readers. Well luckily everyone on the planet has a good friend named Kristy in their life. One day I was telling Kristy, for the hundredth time about my lack of comments and my discouragement. And that was when Kristy decided to change my life and told me about Sitemeter. She even stayed on the phone with me and talked me through the installation process.



So every single day I can now know for absolute sure that only about 7 of my 38 readers choose to comment. And I am very content and happy with that knowledge. All I ask is to know. That "being in the dark" thing is NOT for me.



I think the part I find the most fascinating about Sitemeter is a feature that allows me to see what people "googled" that happened to lead them to my blog. I always feel a little bad when I see that they came to my page to find a serious answer to something and I have no doubt that they left without getting one.



Here is one example. You see when I named my blog Overthinking Everything I had no idea that over thinking is real.....very possibly an epidemic :) And that so many people are SO serious about it. I had a very good friend, who knows me way to well, tell me that I over thought everything. At first I defended myself vehemently. Over thinking definitely did not sound flattering. But within 24 hours I realized this friend may be on to something. Since then I have decided that everyone in the world over thinks at the very least one thing and I decided it was not a bad thing. But I can not tell you how many times a day someone is directed to my page to find the answer to why they over think. They google all kinds of variations but if the word over think is within a mile they get sent to my blog.



"Why I over think?"

"How to stop over thinking."

"Quotes about over thinking."

"Over thinking causing fear."

"Over thinking Everything."



I tell you with all my heart I want to have at least a few answers for these poor suffering souls who are over thinking their over thinking. But I do not know if there are any answers. I know that if you over think Wikipedia says that means you think or analyze too much. But really who decides when anyone has thought too much? I think the lazy, under thinkers in the world had a little meeting and decided to make fun of any one who thought at all and now they call us over thinkers to stress us out :) Really what could be wrong with analyzing and thinking. I assume that if you have had something bad happen to you in a certain part of your life you may tend to over think when a similar situation arises and that is just the way it is going to be so enjoy it....I think we may over think to protect ourselves. I over think because I want to know things and I wonder a lot.

Another thing a lot of people come to my blog to find out about is Carmex. I wrote a blog a long time ago about how my family loves Carmex and now anytime anyone googles anything about Carmex they are led to me. Mostly people who come here are hoping to find out, "how to get Carmex out of clothes", and "what happens when Carmex goes through the wash?" I have to tell you in all our years of purchasing Carmex we have never had a catastrophic "Carmex in the clothes" incident so I can not tell anyone how to clean it up.

On Natalie's birthday last August I decided to do something I had NEVER done before and I bought My Little Pony wrapping paper for her gifts. And when I blogged about it I mentioned it because I usually buy very plain, one color, wrapping paper. I have been dumbfounded at how many people google, "My Little Pony wrapping paper", and all I can tell them is I found it at Wal Mart and bought it on a whim....I definitely did not pre-meditate the purchase by "googling" My Little Pony wrapping paper.

So remember, do not wrap Carmex in My Little Pony wrapping paper and sit around over thinking about my Site Meter I barely have time to blog let alone analyze my Site Meter data. I am sure there is a rule about not telling your readers that you have the potential to know about them

8 comments:

CJ said...

LOL, you can go into your settings and set it to where your blog will not show up on google or on the blogger search, or if someone clicked next blog. That is how mine is. You can only find it if you know the address to it, or if I post on someone else's blog and you click on my profile and follow my link, or if someone has me listed under blogs they read or blogs they follow and you click my name etc.

It is easy to change, just go under your settings tab, which is between edit posts and layout right at the top of the screen, or if you are in dashboard you will see it to the right of your photo, the name of your blog, post total, then under that a blue button says "New Post" look to the right of that 2 spaces and you see "Settings" click on "Settings". Then underneath the settings tab you will see options listed, basic, publishing, formatting etc... click on the "Basic" tab. Then look down about 4 lines. It will say "Add your blog to our listings", select the "No" option. Then the next one down is "Let search engines find your blog" select the "No" option again. Then scroll down to the bottom and click on save settings.

I use Sitemeter too and it is very few of the people who read my blog actually comment too. But they keep coming back and reading it, so either they are bored or they like my babbling.

Camie said...

I think it has been a wonderful year for me since you started blogging--I have definitely had many more laughs and I always look forward to your posts. So happy 1st blogging birthday! Here's to many more...

Kristy said...

I love finding out what Google search brought people to my blog. Most often, it's a search for Utah scones, Lion House rolls, or a pirate cake.

Has it really been a year? A joyous year of Jennifer's blog. I love it!

Zac-ShaunaFamily said...

I laugh out loud every time I read one of your posts. I love it, keep it up and happy blogiversary!

SwEaRiKa said...

Hi Jen. I will let you know I read your blog, so you don't have to worry about who I am :)

Rebecca said...

I am a stalker. Brian knows my husband Rob from Lawrence Ward. We are now living in Canada temporarily. I like to be "in the dark", but figured I should give you encouragement to keep blogging so you don't stop. PLEASE continue to overthink everything.

Anne Marie said...

I am so glad you started your blog. Happy Anniversary to your blog!

Anonymous said...

"I tell you with all my heart I want to have at least a few answers for these poor suffering souls who are over thinking their over thinking. But I do not know if there are any answers. I know that if you over think Wikipedia says that means you think or analyze too much. But really who decides when anyone has thought too much? I think the lazy, under thinkers in the world had a little meeting and decided to make fun of any one who thought at all and now they call us over thinkers to stress us out :) Really what could be wrong with analyzing and thinking. I assume that if you have had something bad happen to you in a certain part of your life you may tend to over think when a similar situation arises and that is just the way it is going to be so enjoy it....I think we may over think to protect ourselves. I over think because I want to know things and I wonder a lot."

This is totally me!!! I thought i was the only one