Feb 9, 2009

A Review of Something I Have Never Seen.

For about three weeks now my husband has been talking about wanting to see this movie called Taken, he and I rarely like the same kind of movies so I have sort of been putting him off hoping he would find a guy friend to see it with him. To my credit ,one weekend, I did TRY to find another couple to go see it with us but had no luck. Just FYI if you have have not seen a preview or heard anything about a movie it is very difficult to convince your friends to go with you to see it. Besides I have just not been sure if I could handle a movie with the title Taken. It just does not sound like comforting, warm fuzzy kind of movie. I am really not good at suspense or killing.

Anyway after weeks of mentioning the movie and no one knowing what in the heck I was talking about last night we had company for dinner and they had seen Taken and said it was amazing. They actually said a lot more than that but I am not sure I could repeat everything perfectly. Suffice it to say they should both be promoters of the movie they convinced me....."Little Miss Never See Anything Suspenseful" that I needed to go see it right away.

The gist of this movie, coming from someone who has not seen it, is that there is this former government agent (Liam Neeson) who gives up his career to be close to his daughter Kim. One day Kim and her friend go to Paris for a trip and are abducted (taken :) by an organization that specializes in human trafficking. I could not find a bad review about this movie anywhere. Is it possible to call a movie a, "deeply satisfying action film?" Action has never been deeply satisfying to me I hate that feeling you get when people are being chased. But I confess I have decided to see this movie. I have too.

Our friends told us the movie has tons of twists and turns that have you continually turning to each other and exclaiming that you, "never saw that coming." Sounds like my life :) And the reviews are raving about the performances of the entire cast.

Several reviews talked about how when you see a preview to a movie you always assume that the best stuff from the movie is in that preview and how that is definitely not the case with Taken.

Check out this quote from the movie:

“I don’t know you who you are. I don’t know what you want. If you’re looking for a ransom, I can tell you, I don’t have money. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills acquired over a very long career in the shadows, skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you let my daughter go now, that will be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don’t, I will look for you, I will find you. And I will kill you.”

So are you going to see it? Or maybe you already have and are going to tell me you hated it. Or maybe like me it takes all your courage to see movies like this :) But remember that just like when you eat something sweet and then have to have something salty. That as soon as you are done getting your suspense fix you can go watch Bride Wars :)

7 comments:

jcmcmt said...

I thought it looked really good from the previews. Not sure if we will see it now or wait for the DVD.

P.S. You don't need another couple to go to the movie with your husband :)

Camie said...

Nope--too scary for me! That is the kind of movie that gives me nightmares, unfortunately for Matt who loves movies like this one!

Nieca and Roger said...

We like movies, call us!

CJ said...

I can not watch scary movies either! Jason made me watch the grudge and I wanted to sleep with the lights on for weeks. I do like action movies, just not scary ones. I didn't even like the joker in the darknight. Jason loves scary movies so he might be willing to go with Brian just don't let the two of them get near a Campanile........

Nieca and Roger said...

Guess what we're going to see tonight?

Andy said...

Hey, did you ask us? I don't remember. I have been wanting to see this movie though. I don't know about Andy, but maybe I could just be a third wheel! (if I think something scary is coming i'll even warn you... :)

Whitney said...

I wasn't even remotely interested based on the previews but ended up going because i am a sheep and only go to movies if I am following my friends. I really did enjoy it, but I thought it was a little one-sided...it really glorifies the actions of the father, who basically goes on a killing spree which hurts so many innocent or near-innocent people. Anyways, really enjoyable, very entertaining, just don't over-think it like I did. =]