Feb 5, 2009

Wicked

No, do not get all excited this is not that glorious post, that I have already written in my head, telling you how I FINALLY got to see the play Wicked that I have been wanting to see for a gazillion years. It is not even a post about me reading the book Wicked which is sitting on my nightstand waiting for me. This is a post about the word wicked yes, the word.



Wicked
1.evil or morally bad in principle or practice; sinful; iniquitous: wicked people; wicked habits.
2.mischievous or playfully malicious: These wicked kittens upset everything.
3.distressingly severe, as a storm, wound, or cold: a wicked winter.
4.unjustifiable; dreadful; beastly: wicked prices; a wicked exam.
5.having a bad disposition; ill-natured; mean: a wicked horse.
6.spiteful; malevolent; vicious: a wicked tongue.
7.extremely troublesome or dangerous: wicked roads.
8.unpleasant; foul: a wicked odor.
9.Slang. wonderful; great; masterful; deeply satisfying: He blows a wicked trumpet.



Did you read the last one? Read it again. The slang form of wicked is what I am talking about today. My kindergartner, Natalie, has a great teacher who was born and raised in Boston. She has the "Bawston" accent. She says, "kindegawhten" is great. If she was in the car with you she would say, "Where are you going to pawhk your cawh?" She also uses a term that I am told is very New England....."wicked." I have been around her teacher a teeny tiny bit and I tell you the woman uses the word "wicked" a ton. And since I do not homeschool my Natalie is with her fabulous kindergarten teacher 6/5 (6 hours a day, 5 days a week) and that is most definitely enough time for Natalie to have learned the proper use of the word "wicked." here are some examples in case you do not understand:



Two nights ago she woke up at about 2:00am and came to my room and said, "Mom, I had a wicked bad nightmare." How can you refuse letting someone into your bed with you who had a "wicked bad nightmare?"



Yesterday she was running fast and she declared to us all, "I can run wicked fast." I hope that is what she will do if something wicked is ever presented to her.



Also yesterday we were inspecting her class picture for the hundreth time and she announced, "Mac is wicked hot." Okay, that one really got my attention. "Hot" and "wicked" both in the same sentence?



Mac is a little boy in her school class who according to Natalie is going to marry 4 of the 5 girls in the class. The 5th girl does not get to join Mac's harem because she took his cupcake one time and apparently Mac can hold a "wicked" grudge. I mentioned to Natalie that if she marries Mac she can not get married in the temple and she exclaimed in a very desperate " Romeo and Juliet tone", "But I love him." I totally understood how she felt but sometimes the "wicked" truth can be hard.

So I googled, "Boston" and "wicked" and all my suspicions were confirmed. I found ever so many t-shirt sites with sayings like these on their Boston t- shirts:

"Wicked big tea pahty."
" Pahkin ya cah is wicked hahd."
" R's ah fah losahs." (did you figure that one out?)

While we are on the subject of weird ways to say things. be aware that a "shopping cart" in New England is a "carriage" and a "garage" sale is a "tag" sale.

So now you are educated on how to talk when you come here and maybe you could throw out the word "wicked" a few times in the midwest, south or west just for fun. And I am not spell checking this post it might cause someone at blogger to report me :)

11 comments:

CJ said...

HAHAHAHA!!!
We have been annoyed by that too... They love to say "Wicked Cool" on the radio too. My favorite word to make fun of has been the town name of Worcester which you would think would be pronounced War-Chester, or War-Cester as in Ancestor. NOPE it is pronounced Wooooooooo-Stah like as if Elmer Fudd was trying to say Rooster. Quiet! I am hunting a Woo-stah! Jason was joking that the people here took all the "R's" off their words and sent them to texas so they can say Warsh the car instead of wash the car.

The Motherboard said...

That's wicked awesome funny!

Melissa said...

You'll have to review the book- I've heard mixed reports. "Carriage"- really?

Jenn said...

This post is the wicked honest truth. I noticed Natalie saying wicked a lot when she was over last weekend. I think she is wicked cute!

Mama Parker said...

HAHA!

First, LOVED Wicked. Can you say "Wicked was wicked awesome?"

LOL @ the kindegawhten teacha.

Mac is "wicked hot?" wow... ;)

Camie said...

Yes, Matt spent his JR High/High school years in Mass, and he slips a 'wicked' in every once in a while.

As for the book Wicked, I've heard a lot of people say they didn't like it, or at least that the show is nothing like it, because the book has some racy parts. You'll have to let us know what you think!

the skeans family blog said...

I can so relate to these "words". I used to sound like that many years ago! In Jersey, I am sure north, but in south they say all of the above you have mentioned. And oh yes....I had a wicked t-shirt in jersey proudly worn!!! When I used to visit my aunts...OMG I couldn't understand them...i forgot what it sounded like when they tawked .....LOL

Anne Marie said...

Love her use of the word "wicked". I grew up in NJ, and I sometimes find myself slipping and saying "wawww-ter" for water.

Kristy said...

I love to use the word "wicked!" I learned all about the "R" issue from Car Talk, aka "Cah Tahk."

Scribbit said...

My boys say it all the time!

Motherboard said...

You are reading Wicked the book? Uhh. Yeah. It's one of the raunchiest books I have ever read. It is NOTHING like the musical. NOTHING.

Just warning you.