Apr 21, 2009

Two Years.




It all started on October 20th, 1989 at Utah Valley Hospital. An entire deacons quorum was born in that hospital on that day.

My hubby and my mom had gone home from the hospital leaving me in a very quiet hospital room. If you can believe it I honestly did not have anyone to call to talk about the fact that I had just had my first baby. And I do love to talk, so I just picked up my little, very cute baby and talked away. He sat there very quietly with his eyes open and he really seemed to be listening. I told him about all sorts of things. It was a little odd to be talking out loud to this 6 hour old baby but I had great plans for him and he seemed genuinely interested in hearing them.

Nineteen years flew by. Some of them he was embarrassed of me. Some of them he was my friend. Some of them I had to make him do things he did not want to do. Some of them he wore sweat pants when I wanted him to wear jeans. :) All I can say is the 19 years went fast, just like everyone who knew they would had said they would. I feel like breaking into song....."sunrise, sunset.....quickly go the years".... :)

But tomorrow he heads into the Missionary Training Center in Provo. Today he had his last final at BYU. You may think we did not plan the timing of that so well, but I think it is turning out the way it should. I saw him in March but the siblings have not seen him since December and will not see him for two years. Brian managed to have some business in Utah, which is good, so he was able to help him pack up stuff, help him decide what to leave in Utah for Madeline when she gets to BYU, help him clean his apartment, gather all his last minute stuff and will drop him at the MTC tomorrow.

I wonder what goes through a missionaries head the night before he goes into the MTC?

I can tell you the mom of the missionary has a lot of thoughts going through her head....worldly advice she forgot to give. :) Does he have everything he needs? Did everything fit in the suitcases? Is he worried about anything? Can I afford this? Should I have a bought him a different size shirt? Will he eat? Will he use his Carmex? :) I am not a hovering kind of mom. I am not a "touchy feely" kind of mom. Does he know how much I love him?

Zach does not feel comfortable with me bragging about him. So I won't.....even though I could. :) But we will miss him terribly. He has been so good at calling us from BYU. He always asks to talk to all his siblings when he calls and he asks them lots of questions about how they are. When he is home he will play Memory with the little girls which no one else ever does. When he is home there is always someone asking if they can help me. When he is home we never forget to have family prayer or scripture study.

All I can do at this point in the game is resolve to be a good letter writer. And try to be as good of an example as he is at living the gospel.

7 comments:

CJ said...

It sounds like he has learned a lot from you. Think of all the lives he will be able to touch in the next 2 years and what they might learn from him and what he might learn from them. So in a way you are going with him because so much of you is part of him.

If you are not good at writing out letters on paper you could copy and paste some of your blog posts with funny stories into a word doc and then type more at the bottom just special for him, print it and mail it. FHE could be a good time for everyone to write him a little note too.

Camie said...

I'm sitting here a little teary reading this post--partly because I'm bringing another little boy into the world in a few days/weeks, and partly because I'm thinking of you my friend and how you must be feeling sending your oldest son out on a mission. He will be a wonderful missionary, and you will be a great missionary mom. And definitely families are blessed while they have a missionary serving--I have a brother out right now and it has been a blessing to all of us. Thinking of you.....

Topher said...

Aw man! I can't believe one of my "little deacons" is on his mission now. I always enjoyed Zach in YM and know he'll do great in Estonia. And you'll do great, too, the next two years.

Melissa said...

I have thought about you all day. It seems like just last week we were walking in KS and you were talking about having a 10 year old boy and not knowing what to do with him. You obviously did a great job! I know that all to fast my 9 year old boy will be 19 and your post also made me a little teary. He will be a great missionary!

Anne Marie said...

Catchin' up, Jennifer on your posts. Sending a child on a mission...that's got to be a mixture of excitement, sadness, sweetness, bitterness, relief, and anxiety all wrapped into one. He sounds like a wonderful young man. Congrats to Madelyn on her record setting! She looks absolutely gorgeous and all grown-up. Hope you have a good spring break. We all love reading your blog...don't let the low comment numbers get you down too much (I know I miss the comments too when they're slow in coming.) Hope the kids will be angels (or at least no worse than average:) for you while your husband's away.

Kristy said...

Awwww, you made me all kinds of sniffly! Zach is an amazing person and I'm so excited to hear about the next two years of his life. I resolve to write letters to him, too! Do you think cookies will travel well to Estonia?

another day in the life of... said...

This is so exciting. I have been thinking of you today, wondering if your heart is somewhere else today. Tomorrow you can brag all you want to about Zach because he won't be allowed to check your blog as a missionary. Will he?!