Jun 1, 2009

Applause.


I can not really remember what got me thinking about the subject of applause...wait, actually I can remember what it was but I sadly can not tell you about it. But it did get me wondering if applause is overdone? Actually, clearly it must be because there are standing ovations, right? Clapping is not my thing. I can remember two times in my life when I felt the overwhelming urge to clap because something inspired me so much. Otherwise, I confess that I only clap because of peer pressure. Maybe because it is expected that I do not like to do it. I would really fit in well at a golf tournament because the "golf clap" is how I usually clap at everything :) I know you need to let people know that you acknowledge their performance but I am still curious why it is so uncomfortable for me :)


The first time I really felt the overwhelming urge to show my appreciation was when the BYU chamber orchestra came to Boston last year. There I was sitting in Fanueil Hall looking at huge gilt framed pictures of our forefathers on the walls while listening to the orchestra play Aaron Copland's Appalachian Spring and I felt so inspired I could barely resist the urge to clap and when it was over and appropriate I heartily clapped...which I tell you I had never done the hearty clapping thing before.


Maybe I need to get out more and see more amazing things that make me feel like clapping. Or maybe as is usual for me I have too high of expectations and not much has earned my applause :)

1 comment:

Kristy said...

I think you should only applaud if you really feel like it. If whoever is being applauded isn't worthy, just fold your arms and sit quietly. You have my permission. :)