Aug 30, 2009

To Do Before I Die....Preferably Sooner Than Later..

Do you have a list of things you have always wanted to do? I do. I have to confess I have only had this list for a few years. It was the strangest thing when a couple of years ago I all of a sudden had the realization that anything was possible. Why I did not realize that when I was 18 I do not know. But it is an amazing feeling when you realize you have the power to make anything happen. The down part of this realization has been that I may occasionally find myself not so tolerant of people who make lots of excuses for why they can not do something. I have always been and always will be a "can do" kind of person. I definitely do not want to add any more "wish I would haves" to my list. That "wish I would have" list is going to forever haunt me as it is. So I am trying my best to figure out how to make my list of things, "I think I need to do" happen.

So without any further chatting here is my list...in no particular order.

#1. See The Aurora Borealis.

The Aurora Borealis is one of the most beautiful natural phenomena this planet has to offer. Now the first thing I have to do to see it is get to Northern Finland, Scandinavia, Alaska, or Greenland. I think Alaska is the most do-able destination on this list which is absolutely fine with me since I have always wanted to go there anyway. The second thing I have to do is make sure I visit Alaska from October through March. The third thing I have to do is become extremely obsessed with tracking solar activity...this may be a little out of my comfort zone but maybe I can find a handsome guy to help me. Then once I figure out the whole solar activity thing I just need to make sure I am out in the country away from city lights somewhere in Alaska when there is a prediction of high solar activity. And then just like everything else in life I will have to wait. And once I finally see it it lasts 2 to 10 minutes. And then I can go back to my life. I have no doubt it is worth it.

#2. See A Space Shuttle Take Off.

Well most of you know I have a daughter who wants to become an astronaut so maybe this one will happen easily. But just in case that does not happen I do have a plan. The plan involves the state of Florida and getting to the NASA Causeway Site. After that I need to make sure that I choose a launch that has a long launch window. If you are coming from a long distance you want to make sure that you are going to get to see the launch so you should not choose a launch that has a 6 minute launch window try one that has a 2.5 hour window. Also I need to choose a launch that has a time in the morning and lastly I must choose a launch that will take off from launch pad A which is closest to the NASA Causeway giving me the best view. I also should get my launch pass early....two to three months before I go...I am very good at this part. I love to do things early. It makes me happy inside. There are several different launch passes. The average price for an adult is about $50.00. If for some reason I do not get a pass I could always go to the shore in Titusville, Florida apparently the view from there is not too shabby.


#3. Hike The Appalachian Trail

I am not sure how to accomplish hiking a 2,000 mile trail that starts at Springer Mt. in Northern Georgia and ends at Mt Kalahdin in central Maine and takes 6 months to hike. About 9,000 people have hiked the entire trail so it is possible. It is one of the more challenging things I think I have to do. This is one I definitely can not do alone....just in case of bears :) So if you are not afraid of bears, are as curious as I am about the Appalachian Trail and could be okay with missing church for 6 months from early Spring to Fall call me :)


#4. See A Killer Whale In The Wild

Basically to do this I need to go to the San Juan Islands in Washington state and take a whale watching boat, preferably a small one with not many people, and stay on it until I see the whales.

#5. See The Grand Canyon

Apparently this is on most peoples, "things to do before I die" lists so if it is on yours and you happen to like me and think you could travel with me I would love a friend....only one friend...I have discovered traveling with more than one person is not my most favorite thing in the world. There is just about every way imaginable to do the Grand Canyon...walking, mule, hiking, boating. My plan involves air. A helicopter or a airplane flying over the Colorado River hovering between 5,000 vertical feet of the canyon wall on both sides sounds very sweet and probably something I am going to have to save my pennies for. And after that I am a little curious about my hiking options, nothing to crazy, just something to give me a feel for hiking in Arizona and a feel for the canyon.

#6 Skinny Dipping

Okay I can not believe I am confessing to this. But I do want to try it before I die. Definitely after midnight and preferably in an warm body of water. When I was a kid I had a friend that had a swimming pool and a whole bunch of us girls were all hanging out and everyone decided to skinny dip....I chickened out and it has haunted me ever since :) It should not be too hard to accomplish....no clothes and water right? :)

#7 Learn How To Take A Compliment

Yes, taking a compliment does not come naturally to me. They make me extremely uncomfortable. And when someone pays me one I need to learn how to let them and how to enjoy it.

#8. See The Fireworks In Boston On The Fourth of July While Listening To The Boston Pops

Yes, I know it involves a WHOLE lot of people but aren't you just a little curious? Everyone I talk to about doing this has absolutely no interest. But the curiosity is killing me. Not one person has a "can do" attitude about this experience all they can talk about it crowds and impossibilities which makes me all the more determined to make it happen ....even if it is just me by my lonesome. And seeing as how I live 2 hours from Boston I should be able to make this happen.

#9. Drive Across The USA

I would love to do this with someone but that would have to be a very tolerant someone. I want to stop whenever I want to stop I want to have no deadlines. Which is odd for me I am such a deadline kind of girl.

#10 Learn How To Golf.

I am so curious about golfing and I do not want to always wonder if I have it in me. I am actually working on acquiring golf lessons right now. I am very excited about it and hope I end up liking it. If I don't then at least I will know that I tried.

#11 Attend A Winter Olympics.

I do not really care where. I just want to be able to be there from start to finish and see as many events as I can.

#12 Tell Someone The Whole Story of My Life Sparing No Details.

Yeah, I know can't you just hope and pray I choose you to do this one with me :) I think this would be amazingly liberating to tell someone everything.

Well my friends there are some more things on my list but I will save that for another post sometime. I better get to bed since school starts in the morning. And don't forget to start on your list and tell me about it.

7 comments:

C Tam said...

For the skinny dipping category, I recommend finding a nicely rural hotsprings in the mountains of Idaho...it worked well for me. =) There is even one that has a sign posted by it called, "Skinnydipper Springs."

Ackerman/Mejias Family said...

I love your list!!! I tried golfing last year and it was much harder than I thought it would be. I will volunteer to drive cross country with you, that's on my list! Grand canyon is worth the trip!
The skinny dipping part is fun:) I can let you know when we are away and you can use our pool! Not as fun as the ocean, but it works!

Jenny Jackson said...

I am totally in for #10. My grandma and grandma used to golf together after they retired and I think that has something to do with my desire to learn. Some of your other ones sound pretty cool too.

BTW, I am glad that you are blogging again!

Whitney Mockler said...

Hey as for the shuttle launch thing, If you go when one is launching at night, you can see it all over Florida. I saw one in Orlando. =] But I would be willing to bet the $50.00 ticket is worth it to feel the heat on your face.

Marty Countryman said...

Do you remember Cary's sister, Cathy? Cathy and Ken McRae have a boat and they took us whale watching this past summer up in the San Juans. We didn't see any whals because we decided to eat lunch first, big mistake. See the whales in the morning and then eat lunch.

Sarah Jones said...

OOO - I want to hike the Appalachian Trail too! And I wouldn't mind missing church for 6 months. :)

Sarah

Mark Atkinson said...

I would say that numbers 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, and 12 could be accomplished in one super fun trip. But would require mid-summer heat and crowds for the fireworks in Boston, something to consider for its own trip.

#10 could also be included. I tried #10 and have abandoned it forever. Golfing and branding cattle have two things in common in my life, they cause me to lose my temper and swear. Yet, eating chocolate or watching Seinfeld NEVER do. Just sayin'.