Sep 15, 2009

How to Get It All Done.

Have you ever wondered when you read someone's blog what they went through to get the blog published? I know some people have a certain day of the week where they write a whole bunch of blogs and then they just set them up to publish at certain times throughout the week. I know people who keep lists of things to blog. I know people who blog with kids crying on their leg. When I was blogging yesterday I was thinking how you might be thinking that I just sit down and write a blog and publish it. I WISH.

When I walk in the house in the morning after doing the Seminary run it is usually 7:30am in the morning. Joe is usually watching out the window for the school bus and while I walk through the house to the computer I talk to him. Making sure he is ready for the day. I use my big toe to press the circle button on the black rectangle box "thingy" that is sitting on the floor next to the computer. (I am sure it has an important sounding name but you know what I mean don't you?)Then while the opening screen is pulling up I wander through the house putting things where they belong and starting the girls lunches. I am always carrying things to and fro. So next time I walk into the room with the computer I click on the account that says Jennifer. Then I do some more puttering while the next page pulls up. Next time I walk back through the room with the computer in it I am finally to the page where I can tell the computer to dial up. And, you guessed it while it is doing that I get the little girls up for school and start their breakfast. Once they are eating I walk back into the computer room and first thing I check is my e-mail. That will cover Facebook and e-mail in one stop. All my Facebook comments and messages come through my e-mail...don't knock it.....I really like it....I know it is wrong in every way because my kids are always saying, "Mom I know how to turn that off so it won't come to your e-mail." They act like it is a burden but it isn't to me. Besides then I know if I need to reply to any messages on Facebook and I can start thinking about them. While I am going through the e-mails I supervise outfits for the day, I find socks, I do hair, I sign papers. I multi task....yep, I big time multi task. By the time they get on the bus at 8:30 I have usually finished all my e-mails....except on Thursday when I have to forward Zach's missionary e-mail and write to him. Okay, did you notice I have not even mentioned the word blog yet? It's true.

After e-mail I go to Facebook. I type in my status for the day. Unless I really can not think of one. If I have to spend more than 2 minutes thinking of one I just skip it until later. I then click on "status updates only" because I really am interested that you are in the Mafia and that you have a farm and that you are going to die when you are 65 by lightening strike but I really do not have time :) So I scan through status updates and comment if necessary and then I go to my profile page and click on my blog. So while I am blogging my Facebook page stays up...just because.....

Okay, so for example after I posted that last sentence I went in the kitchen and unloaded the top of the dishwasher, chased the cat out of my closet, got a glass of water with ice, and put the margarine in the fridge (yes, I am the only one in the family who knows how to do this difficult task.) And went to make sure the baby I babysit is still sleeping.

So now we are on my actual blog. I check to see if I have any comments on my last two or three posts and I rarely do since you are all chickens. Then I check to see how many people read my blog the day before so that my self esteem is not based on my comments. Right now about 45 of you read my blog everyday. A little less on weekends and sometimes a little more if I cuss in a blog :) JK Then sometimes, I confess, I read back over my last few blogs just to enjoy the sheer brilliance of my mind .....haha. Then I click on "new post" and I stare at the blank square. Today I started a different blog than you are actually getting right now but I was not in the mood for the other one so I left it unfinished and may go back to it later.

I often wish I could see your faces when you read my blog. See what the room where your computer is looks like so I could just visualize where you are. See what you are wearing. You are dressed aren't you? :) Just a couple of weeks ago I was feeling very sad about not being able to see a dear friend's face and hear a dear friend's voice. Admit it, it does make conversation a little bit easier. Like when I asked if you are dressed or not if I saw your face I could know whether you were offended by that or not and when you saw me smile and heard me laugh you would know I was teasing you :)

So it is now 10:01 am on the east coast and I am done. I have spell checked. I have re-read the blog 3 times and added a few things and I am ready to publish. Then I will turn off the computer and go do yard work. And later in the afternoon I guess you should know I do check to see if anyone has commented and make sure the blog still sounds the way it sounded in the morning when I clicked "publish" you know, just so that I do not need to prepare to go on the witness protection program, or issue a statement or call a news conference.

So now you know that I am an ADD blogger. I write. I go start a load of laundry. I write. I go make a phone call. I write. I go move the sprinkler. I write. I work on cub scout stuff. I write. I make my bed. I write. I brush my teeth...

7 comments:

Sue said...

Jennifer you are so fun! I do miss you and this just helps me to remember you and your irresible way of living life with many kids. Because of you, I have started to blog more frequently with just stuff about raising 9 kids and how to survive and as time goes on I will probably get into deeper subjects like a well or something. Just keep blogging because i love it. Sue

Kristy said...

I think it is possible that you accomplish more by 10:01 am than I do in an entire day. Entirely possible. And you have dial-up, no less! :)

Ackerman/Mejias Family said...

So that's how you blog! All this time I figured you had to do it in one shot. No wonder I get so frustrated.
I love reading your blog... always with a smile of course... and fully clothed.

My Many Coloured Days said...

There have been bathrobe moments, I admit :)

You should know that you can have your blog "comments" emailed to you too - less checking!!!

Do you ever write blog posts in your head at night only to wake up and realize that brilliant entry is lost in dreamland somewhere??? (Cause, well, I do.)

Loved this.

Anne Marie said...

I am so glad you're back blogging. I wish I could comment every time I read your posts. I almost always have something I want to say to respond, but unfortunately other things around here kind of get in the way of my computer time.

Camie said...

Perfect example of a meta-blog...a blog about blogging!! I loved it! and I know that the 45 of us who read your blog are very happy when we see that you have posted for the day! And I'm glad you can't see where my computer sits--it's on a messy, project-filled desk! You would be so embarrassed for me!

Topher said...

There's a "status only" option on Facebook? Intriguing. I'll have to check into that today. I need that. You're like the smartest, tech savy-est middle ager I know. Thanks for sharing!