Sep 5, 2009

Madeline at BYU


So Madeline has been at BYU for almost 2 weeks. Let me tell you a little about our communication. There are three ways I will hear from Madeline. The first way is texting. Texting is her personal favorite. I hate texting which is probably why she likes it because she knows I will not reply. The things she has texted to me have been things like, "Yo, I need kitchen dish cloths." or, "Mom, I told you I would be out of class at 9." I hate how long it takes me to type a text reply back to her. It is painfully slow and my mind is miles ahead of me as I am, "hunting and pecking" out my reply.

Madeline also uses Facebook to get a hold of me. Last week she posted a picture of the job chart she made for her and her roommates on my wall. She was very proud of herself and I was very amused by how proud she was. And thrilled that I had actually taught her something :) Now, is she actually doing her jobs? Good question :) She will also send messages to my inbox on Facebook. The latest one has been that she wants to spend half of Christmas break in Indiana. I think some of my tendencies to live in a fantasy world may have been passed on to Madeline :)

Occasionally she will call me or pick up her phone when I call. But she is amazingly busy. She has some 6 am classes and she has some classes that as you already know (see above) end at 9:00 pm. The reason she has weird class times is because she is trying out for the BYU track team. So every day from noon to 4 she is running with all the other hopefuls. She is loving it. She has been pleased to discover that she is able to beat most the people she is running against. She was fascinated to discover that there are a couple girls on the team from Massachusetts that she has been at track meets with but never knew they were Mormon. She is deeply in love with all the free NIKE stuff she is acquiring. She has also loved meeting people that she has only watched run on TV. We will know at the end of the month if she made the team. But she has declared that she has already made it.

Her Calculus and Chemistry classes are giving her fits so she has acquired tutors all by herself. It amazes me how they step up and take charge of their lives when they need to.

The other day I was talking to her and she said a couple things that really made me smile. The first was she was talking about how she had read through all her textbooks. And how exhausting that was since she never had to pick up a textbook in high school. She has lived a charmed life. Also in that same conversation she mentioned how it was different now that she was paying for her school with her own money....wait, darling daughter what did you say? Would you say that again, PLEASE :) Madeline has a half tuition scholarship but she has paid for everything else out of her own money.

I was also asking her if she was keeping her roommate up with her late hours. And she said, "Mom I go to bed early now, I am in college and I have to get up early. I am not keeping anyone up." I was so surprised she said that I blurted out, "WOW, that is great, so what time are you going to bed? And she said, "Midnight." Yes, I laughed out loud at my darling daughter. She said, "Mom no one goes to bed at midnight here they all go to bed at 2 or 3am."

Madeline is the luckiest child in the world. She has not had many disappointments in life and when she has had them dealing with them has not been her strong point. She is not afraid to try anything and she is very independent. And I wish I would have had a little bit of Madeline in me when I was in college.

4 comments:

i like whispering too said...

that's awesome about the byu track team. i had a friend i worked with who was on the track team. if madeline ever needs a job, i can give her a good recommendation at the mtc mailroom. i worked there the whole time i went to byu. great environment, great boss, and you get to set your own weekly hours.

the skeans family blog said...

So when will she find out if she made it---crossed fingers here for her!!!

Anne Marie said...

I do hope she makes the track team! Sounds like she is taking charge of her life and doing a great job adusting! Love it how midnight is considered early. I think it was only my freshman year I kept late hours. Wish my metabolism could now support the habit of eating pizza with friends at 1 in the morning.

Kristy said...

I saw her today! She is a beautiful, bright young woman. I'm glad I'll get to see her more often now that she's in Utah. You know, Utah? The place with the fabulous fall season? ;-)