Sep 23, 2009

Politics..All About Filling Spots.


It has happened my friends. And you are here to witness it. I feel so sure of my political opinion that I am sharing my political opinion on my blog. My blog that is just a plain old humble homemaking goddess blog. But I have been stewing about something for a few days. And because I am posting my opinion you of course have the right to post yours....even though I am right and you are wrong :) You can even point the error of my logic if you must. But I am pretty sure I am right about this one. So get comfy and let me read you a story.


Once upon a time the evil state of Massachusetts used to have a Senator......Senator Ted....he was our Senator for a very, very long time. Senator Ted was a Democrat. A very liberal Democrat. He believed in a interventionist government and emphasized social and economic justice although I think he usually tried to get a long with everyone. In August 2009 Senator Ted died. When he died it left a spot open for a Senator in Massachusetts.

That spot is very important to the President of the United States, President Obama. I don't know if you have heard that President Obama is trying to pass a health care plan? He really needed Senator Ted's support and vote for his health care plan. So now he is chatting a lot with his new BFF the Governor of Massachusetts.....Governor Deval Patrick. (See above picture, don't they look chatty? :)

You see a long time ago in 2004 there was a law in Massachusetts allowing a Governor to nominate someone to fill an empty Senator spot. When there was this law there was a Governor of Massachusetts named Mitt Romney who had a Senator named John Kerry who wanted to run for President and was going to possibly leave an empty Senator spot thus allowing Governor Mitt to fill it with a person of his choosing....a interim appointment is the technical term. Well the Democrats did not like that idea one bit so they changed the law immediately so that just in case it ever happened Mitt would not be able to have any power to fill that spot. Are you still with me? Isn't this your favorite story ever? If you need a drink I will wait.

Now, I don't want to upset you but the Democrats are trying to quickly pass a bill to change that law back so that Governor Deval can appoint someone who would be sure to support Obama's plan. I sense that they are a little desperate. You see Obama really needs votes for his health care plan. I understand how they feel. I hate that desperate, helpless feeling. I often need votes for my ideas at my house and I hate it when I don't get them.

No matter how I try I can not see anything but hypocrisy in this story. Oh wait, I guess there is some unfairness in there too. Hypocrisy and unfairness really drive me crazy. I know they are everywhere. But I fear I would be happy in a world where everyone got what they deserved :)


I think the hardest part of the story is that a 40 year old, 4 foot 10 inches tall, girl in Westfield Massachusetts really has no power. How do I get power? I need to get me some. Just think if I had power......

P.S.
I have to tell you after I wrote my, "necessary to my peace of mind" political blog I did some reading and discovered that the law I was talking about passed yesterday and Governor Patrick is now on his way to choosing a new Senator. Now I am sure a Republican Governor somewhere in this fair land has probably done the very same thing that the Democrat Governor of Massachusetts has done but that would be way too fair if I told you about it.

3 comments:

Kristy said...

I heart Obama.

I named our new cat Hilary Kitten.

Will you still be my friend?

Brianne said...

This whole thing bugs me too. My husband who loves Obama and all things LEFT likes to tell me how hypocritical the RIGHT is. I was very happy to point this story out to him a few weeks ago. He didn't have much to say about it.

Of course it's stories like this that make me not want to follow politics.

4' 10"! I thought you were at least 5'. You learn something new every day!

Chris said...

You, Mrs. Baird, should be appointed the new Jr. Senator from Massachhoweveryouspellit. I love this post; my thoughts exactly. You just say it much gooder.