Dec 7, 2009

Obsessing.


Do you ever hear about something and sort of half tune in? And then you happen to hear about it another time and AGAIN you only half tune in? And then that third time comes and you, again, hear about this particular thing and this time you actually give it your full attention? Well that happens to me all the time.

It happened with IKEA. I kept hearing people talk about IKEA but I never really focused on what it was. Until that historic day when I heard my siblings talking about it and actually listened. And now when I move somewhere one of the first things I look at is where the closest IKEA is. I used to drive three hours to IKEA in Chicago, so you can see, I will stop at nothing to get to IKEA. All those missed, "shopping at IKEA years" that I can never get back because it took me SO long to clue in to what IKEA really was.

It also happened with Cooks Illustrated cookbooks. My siblings and parents all own various copies of all the different cookbooks and I was stuck on some other planet while they were purchasing them at Costco and now I want the cookbooks and can't find them.

The latest thing I have finally decided to pay attention to is movies that are not necessarily mainstream, movies from the BBC, Japanese movies, and documentaries. My siblings and parents are always talking about somewhat obscure movies. I can never keep up with their conversations. I can't even intelligently name drop some titles for you.

I did acquire a copy of the BBC production of Elizabeth Gaskell's Wives and Daughters a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it but I never pursued it much past that. When I would happen to be in Costco (Do you see a trend? Ord bonding time in Costco?) with my sisters and parents and they were all oohing and aahing over all the BBC movies available for them to purchase I always half listened. Well, that "not getting it" phase is past and now I am officially focused and obsessing. You can claim to officially be obsessing about something if you google it and if you drive specifically to a store to look for it. Both of which I have done for a copy of the BBC movie North and South. It is based on a book by Elizabeth Gaskell. I started watching it over Thanksgiving with my sisters and I am ashamed to admit I kept falling asleep during the second night of watching. I wanted to stay awake and kept insisting that I was awake but I wasn't. Ever since then I have been dying (dramatic? Who me?) to get my hands on the DVD and finish what I started. Blockbuster does not have it. The library requested it for me but it I really don't want to wait. Costco did not have it. Barnes and Noble did have it and I carried it around for a minute but I could not justify $30.00 for a movie. Amazon also had a copy for $18.00 and I am still thinking about that. I mean it is Christmas time and how can I justify something frivolous for myself when I should be giving gifts to others :)

I am slightly obsessing about seeing the end of this movie. I find myself thinking about it every day. I find myself listening to see if I hear someone talking about it. I know, weird, I mean who would name drop Elizabeth Gaskell in Wal Mart? All I can really do at this point is wait for the library to come through for me. But it could be a long time and I might die before then :)

7 comments:

Jenny Jackson said...

I LOVE this movie! My hubbie bought it for me from Amazon. Too bad you aren't closer or I would loan it to you. :) I think I should watch it while I wrap presents or something...

Kristy said...

Woman! How do you have time to blog today? I am impressed.

Rachel said...

Netflix has it on instant play! I watched it last night on my computer. Instant satisfaction.

Juli said...

i would come to your funeral if you died waiting for this movie.

Melissa said...

I just watched North and South. My neighbor has a copy- again I think we should live closer then I could loan it to you (I'm sure my friend wouldn't mind.) I loved it but had to start it 3 times before I could really get into it. Do you want to know how it ends? :)

Madeline said...

one of my room mate owns practically every BBC period drama ever created. they are all sitting on her shelf over there, she's particularly fond of North and South...she says she thinks she'd get along with you :)

Anne Marie said...

I adore that movie. You have to finish it! Maybe do a Netflix 14-day free trial and watch all the movies you can't get a hold of any other way.