Jan 15, 2010

Scott Brown?


How do you know if someone is telling the truth? How do you know if they are telling the truth if you have never met them? Figuring out truth is hard, especially in politics. How do you know who to trust? Not only that what if the press, who reports what is happening and what politicians are saying, are not telling the truth? Is it easy to trick us? Is it easy to tell us what we want to hear? Why on earth am I blogging about truth and politics when you really would prefer reading about how rotten my kids are, or perhaps a meaningful list of what I am doing today? :)


Okay, you caught me, you see next Tuesday Massachusetts has very important election. Remember when Senator Ted died last year? Democrat Senator Ted? Well he left a senate seat behind and on Tuesday those of us who have the privilege of living in "taxachusetts" get to decide who is going to fill this spot. A Republican named Scott Brown or a Democrat named Martha Coakley. Why do I bring this up now? Five days before the election? Because I was very busy doing laundry and dishes and just tuned in... :)

Actually, it all started when I was looking through the mail the other day and there was a "postcard-y" junk mail looking thing and I decided it would make a great bookmark ( I happened to be in the middle of a book and had nothing to mark my page with, you see, I am trying to stop folding the page down since I am married to a vice president of a book binding company) so I folded the postcard in half and used it as my bookmark. A couple days later I happened to actually notice what my bookmark was so I unfolded it and read about Scott Brown and the upcoming election and it got me curious. I knew this election was coming but I sadly did not know when. I am ashamed to say that I did not even know who was running to fill the seat. Politics these days is pretty depressing stuff. Isn't it easier to just ignore it? I mean does it really affect me? There is so much information out there and so many voices how do you decide who is right? And why is my right different from yours? It takes work and time to read and educate yourself about things like ACORN, cap and trade, health care, and taxing banks, who has the time? We notice that laws are starting to frustrate us, we notice things are costing more, we notice we know more people who have lost their jobs and we notice that less of our money is making it to our bank accounts but we often don't understand how it is all happening. I mean who takes the time to read every word of the bills being passed in Washington? Not little ol' homemaking goddess me. But yesterday I took a half and hour to read articles online and I did the same today and I let me tell you I will not miss voting on Tuesday for the world. This election has a chance to change things. The Senate would have enough Republicans to break the Democrats"filibuster proof margin." The thought of the repercussions makes me giddy. Is Scott Brown perfect? No, of course not. But he will cause a kink in the plans of the Democrats who have been enjoying spending my money and making me feel afraid and worried. His win may force them to slow down and think a little bit more carefully about all the bills they are merrily passing I mean they seem to be rushing, rushing everything through seeming to be afraid that me, "homemaking goddess" might figure out what they are doing if they actually take their time. And maybe the pause will help them to remember who they represent...me, "homemaking goddess" who is voting for Scott Brown on Tuesday even if it may not matter I need to do it for my conscience.

5 comments:

Rebecca S. said...

We definitely need a restoration of checks and balances between our legislative and executive branches. Hopefully Scott Brown can do it...I am positive Martha Coakley would not.

C Tam said...

Go Goddess! My "Stand a Little Taller" Pres. Hinckley qoute-of-the-day book just talked about this subject.

Annette said...

You go girl! I do so hope Scott Brown wins- for the same reasons!

Brianne said...

Go Scott Brown! I will also be voting for him. Maybe we will be the only 2 to show up.

Russ Jenkins said...

Mr. Brown is very much ahead in the polls for a good reason. We. here in Mass. have had enough of the status quo. I few months ago, Coakley and another Dem. ran on the claim that each was more like Ted Kennedy.... WE DON'T WANT another Kennedy. We are tired of politicians who feel entitled to live by another set of rules. Go Scott! I feel change in the air that we actually CAN believe in!