Feb 3, 2010

On A Sabbatical ?

Well, hello there...the chances are really good if you are sitting there at your computer staring at my rather plain, ordinary blog, that you have just Googled " why do I over think" or "how do I get Carmex out of clothes" and are looking for answers. Well I don't really have the answers. I named my blog "Overthinking Everything" because a dear friend(who I had not seen in 20 years) once told me (after we had reconnected) that I over thought everything. At first I denied it and then within 24 hours I realized it was so comforting to find someone who knew me so well and I also realized it was okay to over think because everyone over thinks something. And the Carmex thing?...well I wrote a post once about how we love Carmex at our house and so when anyone out there in the wide world Googles Carmex they get directed to....my blog, lucky them :)


I started blogging about two years ago when we moved to Massachusetts. I was going through a tough moment in my life and had recently made a discovery that I liked writing.... actually I must get drama-licious here and say emphatically that I NEEDED writing. But the whole blogging thing was tougher than I thought. When you put your words out there you make yourself vulnerable. People can misunderstand you. People can judge you. People could even possibly...gasp...not like you. Some people start to blog so that they can keep in touch with family and friends that are far away. But I knew from the beginning I did not want to use my blog to necessarily keep you in touch with my families day to day life. I wanted the blog to be mine not my kids or my husbands. I share everything else with them. I wanted to say whatever I wanted. But I soon learned I couldn't tell the internet everything that was going on in my mind. You see, situations that would happen that I wanted to write about would involve people who read my blog and thus, I could not write about the situation the way I wanted to. I had envisioned this cozy little place where I share all my thoughts, yes, all of them...does that not sound fun? :) But it has not necessarily worked out that way. I find that the longer I blog the harder it gets to think of things to write about that are "surface-y". I have so many things I want to tell just you about.... but not her, and not him and definitely not her. I can not seem to reconcile it. So instead of blogging everyday, as we all know I love to do. I have found the distance between posts getting longer and longer. I find myself getting more and more gifted at suppressing......I have discovered my new talent which is holding it all in :) I actually am certified in suppressing and could teach some pretty awesome classes on it :)

I have posted 404 posts on this blog. And I have enjoyed every minute of it but I think it is time to stop staring at the blank blogging rectangle and longing to tell you everything but not being able to. Hopefully I am not gone forever. And if you miss me you know there are two years worth of posts here that should give your "Jennifer fix" :)

10 comments:

Kristy said...

Noooooooo!

I will miss you too much. I guess I will just have to call you more often.

Danielle said...

Wow. I am totally depressed now, but I understand. If you aren't enjoying writing the way you had envisioned, then find something that does make you happy. I do think that I will miss your blogs because of your wit and sense of humor. Hopefully, you'll stay on Facebook and post something when you feel up to it.

Keep in touch!

Danielle

My Many Coloured Days said...

Will miss you. But I understand. Really.

Write a book while you're "off".

Karin said...

I don't comment as often as I read, but I'm glad I found your blog in a round-way. Seems like so many blogs are written by young mothers with young young children and its been refreshing to read the perspective of someone with teens and a little older. So anyway, thank you.

Sometimes I think the same thing. I can't really write everything I want to. I can relate. BUt I truly hope you find a better outlet than supressing. Good luck with your sabbatical.

Jenn said...

I agree with Karin :), no suppression allowed! Start a new blog under an alias so you can blog about whatever you want. Register it with someplace like Mormon Mommy Blogs or something. They have lots of categories for different types of blogs. I like private journaling for a written release on all those things that are maybe too private for a public blog. (You know all those private thoughts we all have that we would never in a million years say out loud, but we feel we must write about them for whatever reason. I have a few of those topics floating around my fingertips.) The down side, there aren't any comments on private journals and no one to validate and sympathize with our opinions. Good luck with your time off. Hopefully you will find what you are searching for.

Annette said...

I am very sad :'( but I understand. Well, not really- I love your blogs- I hope you start a new one. And a reiterate- how bout taking a bunch of the old ones, editing and publishing. I'd buy it!!!! Hope we can talk soon!

Anne Marie said...

I have dearly loved reading your blog. I hope this is not the end, but I totally understand if you need a vacation. Maybe you could start another blog and just clue a few people in about it (I'd love to be one of those few).

Farm Girl said...

You can't stop because you are amazingly witty, funny, and real life! I love reading - keep it up when you can...pleeeeaaasse.:)

R2F! said...

i did google why do i overthink so much?
and i stumbled onto this blog. ive been having ALOT of troubling issues lately due to my overthinking. its causing me to ruin a relationship i just got into and could be good for me. i always sit here and overthink things as i do some late night drawings an i hate it. i really hate it.

Rebecca S. said...

...having...withdrawal...need some overthinking...