May 12, 2010

Simple.

"Tis a gift to be simple, tis a gift to be free, tis a gift to come down where we ought to be" I think I have known this song my whole life..... it is actually an old Shaker song that became quite famous when Aaron Copland decided to incorporate it into his Appalachian Spring ballet he was writing for Martha Graham in the 1940's....I love picking the tune to this song out when I listen to Appalachian Spring and adore how the tune starts out very simple and then builds up to loads of soaring and flowing so much soaring and flowing that you can not help but hum/sing along.

So what brought this walk down memory lane about the, Tis a Gift to Be Simple song? Well I have been thinking about simple lately. About 4 or 5 times a year I find myself yearning for the simple life. You may ask... "Why don't you just get yourself a simple life if you long for it so much?" Well sadly it's not that simple :)

What does it mean to live simple? Being able to prioritize what is important to you? Not needing much? Having less choices? Being out of debt? Not depending on anyone for anything? Having a horse and a buggy for transportation?

Is there anything simple in your life? Breakfast? Sleeping? A glass of water? Driving to work? Relationships?

Is simple in your head? Do you inherit your ability to keep things simple? Would I appear crazy if I said that the more of life I experience the more un-simple it seems to get? I do NOT want it that way but despite my wishes it is happening at an alarming rate.


When I think of simple I think of the Laura Ingalls Wilder books. Getting a penny, some candy and a tin cup in your stocking for Christmas and being estatic about it. Getting up with the sun and going to bed with the sun. Sliding down a hay stack. Planting food, picking food, cooking food. Yeah, I am aware that there were Indians, coyotes, sickness, crop failure and other struggles back then. But I have some simple notion that I could handle anything if I had a long skirt on and a pioneer bonnet oh..okay and an epidural for when I deliver a baby :)

1 comment:

Pam Mueller said...

Aaron Copeland's sister in law is Rebecca's school librarian! Such a small world.