Jul 19, 2010

Word Of The Day

Okay, the word of the day is "drama." I must get to the bottom of this. People use the word drama all the time. Yes, I am one of those people. I have been using it so much that the other day I stopped and realized I needed to find out more about what drama really means.

Do you associate the word drama with good or bad?

Did you know there is a town in Northeastern Greece named Drama?

There is a drama section at Blockbuster and I am always a little interested in which movies end up in the drama section. Sometimes I tend to think it is just where they put everything else that does not fall in any of the other categories.

My best friend dictionary.com says that drama is : "any situation or series of events having vivid, emotional, conflicting, or striking interest or results."

Okay, what about if we add the word queen? Drama queen. Do you know one? By today's standards Scarlett O'Hara from Gone With The Wind was one, just in case you need an example.

I was so relieved when I read all about drama queens because I thought I had five of them and it turns out I don't. I had even started to wonder if I was one, and it turns out that...drum roll please........ I am not....whew. I do love being wrong. My five girls are emotional. But what girl isn't?(actually, I even know some seriously adorable drama kings). If the Baird girls were actual drama queens they would be self centered divas. You would have to walk on eggshells around them.

A drama queen over reacts to "seemingly minor life experiences".... it is that word "seemingly" that gets me every time. Did you know it means, "appearing, whether truly or falsely to be as specified?" So that must mean that someone else who is standing around watching you is deciding from the appearances of things whether your life experiences are minor or not? Someone who has not lived your life and had all the experiences you have is deciding whether you are over reacting or not and then labeling you a drama lover accordingly.

According to the all knowing internet drama queens are not really very good people. It seems that they wrote the bestselling book on "selfishness", and the follow up bestselling book on "making unreasonable demands." I have never and will never label someone a drama queen. I am not them and I have not lived their life, it is possible that I have gone through two or three of the same experiences they have but it will never be enough to understand them enough to label them a drama queen. Besides, all they really need is someone to talk to and help them through some tough times. It may be a couple of years worth of tough times or it may be just a day of tough times. But I am a sucker and I will be there for you through it all.

So what do you think? Am I way off base? Too much drama? :)

1 comment:

Kristy said...

Jenn, you are not a drama queen. You talk things through in a logical and thoughtful way. Some people create drama just because they are bored or because it's the only way they know how to function.