Jun 23, 2010

Steven James Ord


I can't believe that I forgot to call my dad on Father's Day. I remembered and then I forgot...multiple times. I used to be the favorite child in the family but I think I am going to have to relinquish the spot :) The only thing I can do to make it up to him is embarrass him and tell you all about him. Honestly, everyone in the world should have had a dad like mine. (I am not just saying that so I can get back the favorite child spot...or am I?)

My first memory of my dad is watching him do jumping jacks and situps in the morning before he went to work when we lived in Sedro Woolley, Washington. Soon after that first memory comes the memory of him playing the piano and singing silly songs while my siblings and I danced around the living room. He used to play "Johnny Get Your Haircut"....haircut...haircut. And "Let's Go Hunting Said Risky Rob" and so many more.

My dad has ruined everything because he really is perfect so I expect everyone else to be. He always dealt with everything with us kids with a sense of humor I remember the first time I ever saw him lose his temper and I was already married and had one kid and we were visiting my parents in American Samoa. Even then it was a pretty minor loss of temper. I have never heard him swear and he always seems to be in control of himself....something I greatly admire.

My dad always wants you to feel his muscles in his arms and then he wants you to punch his stomach to feel his muscle there too. He has very flat feet so I will never forget how his walk looks and I was so happy when I realized that my oldest son Zach walks just like him.

My dad was born and raised in California. He is the only one of his siblings to move away from California. He went to BYU Provo, served a mission for our church in England and then went to the University of Washington to get his MBA. I remember when he got his CPA when I was a kid and we were living in California. He always knows everything about numbers, taxes and mortgage rates I am pretty sure all of us kids always call him for financial advice. I did not recieve his gift for numbers. He spent many a long, frustrating hours working on Math with me.

Because of my dad I often chant the phrase "Hubba Hubba woo woo woo chacha lacha ching ching choo choo choo." And when I do chant it to my kids I remember my dad doing this little dance with his arms stretched out from his sides and his feet shuffling back and forth while he would say it. I also remember him telling us this story when we would beg for a story...."It was a dark and stormy night and a band of men were sitting around the campfire and the captain said boys lets tell a story and this is the way the story goes...It was a dark and stormy night"......You get the idea??

My dad is always working in the yard with my mom. Actually my dad and mom are always together. They grocery shop together, they go on windjammer cruises together, they go to England together, they are on a mission for our church in Hawaii right now....together.

When trampolines first became popular we were one of the first ones to have one. One time we were all jumping on it and ( much to moms chagrin) he casually tossed a lit M-80 firecracker off the deck next to the trampoline where we did not see it and when it went off you should have seen all of us kids jump :) He laughed and laughed. I got my love of really loud fireworks from him. He would go to the Indian reservation when we were kids and ask for the big, illegal, not allowed for home use fireworks that were used by the loggers. The ones that were hidden behind the counters.

My dad is a reader and he can concentrate and read anywhere. All of us kids would be running around where he was reading being loud kids and he would be sitting there reading like nothing was going on.

He loves to play jokes and was always teasing us kids. He would get on the roof and drop stuff and we would not know where it came from. He loved to mess with our minds :) He would write me extremely embarrassing notes when I was late or absent from school. The ladies in the office would laugh and laugh when they got his notes. One of them said "Please excuse Jennifer for being late she had rigor morits of the cranium" And another one he signed but under his signature he wrote "signed under duress"

I really am amazed as I sit here and write it all out how much I could go on and on about my dad. He was always the last one to the car on Sunday after church because he is so social and friendly. Yes, I inherited the social part of me from him :)

I really can not think of any faults he has...well other than not writing me more checks :) He has always set an amazing example to me of how to deal with people in a kind way. He as always made our religion his first priority and set a great example of how to live it.

So dad I am eternally sorry I forgot to call you on Sunday. But since I call you every other day of the year I am sure it is okay that I missed one day....(just have to make my siblings nervous :) HAHA

I love you dearly...oh, and mom I love you too :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this!!! To me, this is the best kind of family history...just recording memories. What a great expression of love for your dad.

-Joan

Steve Ord said...

The checks in the mail!!!

Dad

Sarah Jones said...

So fun to read your memories of our dear daddy. I can just see him doing his shuffle dance! Wish we lived closer - darn!