Jun 19, 2011

Rollercoasters and Life.




Rollercoasters... I love them. Have you ever seen the movie Parenthood? Yeah, the one with Steve Martin in it. Yeah, I know, it does have some questionable parts :) But I am not bringing those up :) Remember in the end when they are getting ready to head to a school performance for one of their kids and the dad Gil is complaining to his wife about how messy life is? The kids are not doing what he wants, his job is not going well, she is expecting a baby they did not plan for, etc, etc, etc. Remember while he is complaining the grandma wanders through the room and she says, rather randomly:


"You know when I was 19 Grandpa took me on a rollercoaster"


Gil (the dad) says: "Oh?"


Grandma: "Up, down, up, down. Oh, what a ride."


Gil: "What a great story." (patronizingly)


Grandma: "I always wanted to go again. You know, it was just so interesting to me that a ride could make me so scared, so frightened, so sick, so excited, and so thrilled all together! Some didn't like it. They went on the merry go round. That just goes around. Nothing. I like the roller coaster you get more out of it."

They end up at the school and during the play one of their little kids sneaks up on the stage and wreaks havoc on the play. While this is happening you hear the sounds of a rollercoaster and you see the wife smiling, and laughing, and going with the flow and you see the dad looking sick.


I always loved this part of the movie and yes, I can always hear the rollercoaster noise in the background of my life. When I ride on a rollercoaster I scream. I scream. Oh, and I scream. If I am not screaming I have stopped to burst out in delighted laughter for a very quick second. The screaming is very necessary it is my way of taking my mind off of my fear :) Yeah, I figured that out all by myself :) Clever, eh? From what I can deduce...in my life... I just came down that first big hill which always makes me alternate between screaming and laughing... then it goes into a couple of smooth turns which make me laugh delightedly with no screaming. I wish I knew what was next but my adorable roller coaster happens to be in the pitch dark. Yeah, my favorite....(insert sarcasm).


You all probably wish I was a blogger with little kids. So that you could just come here and contentedly see the latest craft I was doing with the kids (hmmm did we ever do that?) or the latest cute thing some teeny tiny Baird child said. Or the matching outfits I made out of duck tape :) Yeah, those days are gone. I have teenagers and adults for children and a life that gets more complicated by the day and is currently staring at me waiting to see what I am going to do.....be assured it will always involve screaming and laughing.

3 comments:

jills said...

Seemingly random, but oh, so profound.

Ackerman/Mejias Family said...

Put your harness on! You're going to need it ;)

Anonymous said...

Parenthood is one of my ALLTIME favorite movies, "parts" and all. I saw it before marriage/family was even on my horizon and it made me feel like I could do it(someday), because it didn't have to be perfect. I would make mistakes and that would be ok.
Erin D.