Jul 24, 2011

Thunderstorms and Fireworks.....Lucky Me :)

When was the last time you went on a airplane? The last time I went on a airplane was March of 2009. I love every single thing about flying. Yes, even the quart size ziploc bag with my Carmex in it. Yes, even the security line....good people watching. Yes, even getting to the airport way too early. Yes, even getting to Dulles and the captain of your flight deciding the plane is not fit to fly and so your 6:00 flight leaves at 8:30 instead. No worries, I got comfortable and chatted for those hours with three ladies from Utah, Pennsylvania, and Virginia and even the captain of our flight sat with us and chatted for an hour. Fascinating conversation. You have no idea how many questions I had always wanted to ask a airplane captain. The lady from Utah was on her way back from the Ukraine where she has been trying to adopt three kids. The lady from Virginia was on her way to comfort her sister who has been diagnosed with agressive cancer and does not have long to live. The lady from Pennsylvania was going to see her son and grand kids. We talked about oh so many things. How one of them had a neighbor who was on Survivor. How one of them had a husband in the Army. How the pilot had been in the Airforce for 30 years and his wife just divorced him 4 years ago. It was so strange to think by the end of three hours we knew so much about each other and yet would most likely never see each other again.

The wait for the flight was actually completely and utterly worth it. We flew by a wicked thunder storm with amazing lightning in the Midwest. I had no idea that seeing that from an airplane could be so mesmerizing. Sadly, we went by it so fast I did not feel satisfied and need to see another thunderstorm from an airplane. Then when we were descending into Salt Lake City I kept seeing something and wondered what it was and as I started focusing I realized it was FIREWORKS!! I had always wanted to see fireworks from the sky and it happened to be 24th of July celebrations in Utah and there were firework shows everywhere. It was so incredible. I now know it was a good thing to have longed to see that my whole entire life. And now I need to figure out how to get on an airplane when fireworks are happening way more often than I have in the past. Seriously thunderstorm and fireworks in the same flight. Who could get so lucky?

Oh, and I almost forgot.... I got to sit by a flight stewardess on my flight from Hartford to Dulles and she answered questions to my hearts content. I fear I may secretly long to be a flight stewardess. Would that not be so fun?

Then today after all my epic fun at airports and on airplanes I spent the day in the car driving up and down the Wasatch Front. I forgot how amazing mountains are. My ancestors pushed handcarts over these mountains. And this weekend is the weekend that the first Mormon pioneers arrived in the Salt Lake Valley in 1847. I could not help but think about them today as I watched the sun come over those amazing, solid, strong mountains. The sacrifices they made. The trails they faced. The things they gave up. It gave me a lot to think about.

I have tons more to tell you but it is late in Utah and I am ever so tired.

3 comments:

Jocelyn said...

welcome to Utah . Glad you are having fun. can't wait to hear about your adventures here. maybe we could get together some time.

Ackerman/Mejias Family said...

Man, you have all the fun!

Kristy said...

I think you would be an excellent flight attendant! Not only would they love you, I would get buddy passes. Please begin training ASAP.