Aug 7, 2011

Going Home.



How long has it been since you were home? What is home anyway? How does it make you feel? How do you know it is home? If you are home you are in a situation that is familiar to you a place where you feel at ease. Yesterday I got on an airplane at 4:30 in the afternoon Eastern time and got off of an airplane at 9:30 Pacific time and then drove another 2 plus hours and then I was home. I have not been to my parents home in six years. I have seen my parents during those six years but have not been to their actual home in Cottage Grove, Oregon. I did not grow up in the home they live in. They have lived here 12 years. Yet, the minute I walked in the door the smells were familiar. The feeling of peace and contentment were familiar. The pictures hanging on the wall were familiar. Some of the pieces of furniture I remember from my childhood that are still around were familiar.


I think maybe the last time I had both of my parents to my complete and utter self was when I was born :) I sighed inside when the minute I got out of the car last night at 12:30 in the morning my dad said "You have to come out here away from the light and look at the stars" So there I stood in the driveway thousands of miles from my home standing under the Oregon sky looking at millions of stars, the Milky Way and oh so much more. They live out in the country on the top of a hill with an amazing view of a lake and pine trees for as far as the eye can see.


Our favorite thing to do as soon as we can is walk through the yard. My parents spend most of their time in the yard and the garden and it shows. It made me feel ashamed at how I have neglected my yard these last few months. We picked squash, cucumbers, blueberries, boysenberries and strawberries. We stared at the most beautifully colored hydrangea, in their front yard, that I have ever seen. We mourned the loss of 4 fruit trees in their orchard. I reaquainted myself with their mannerisms that endear them to me. We fixed breakfast for lunch.

It is so quiet here. I have been sitting in a chair reading this afternoon in 75 degree weather, with the windows all open so a breeze can blow through, listening to the distant sound of motor boats on the lake, listening to my parents share what they are reading in their books, and trying not to think too much about all the things I need to figure out.


In 20 years will I have a comfortable, yet humble home, with a view, with a perfect lawn and gardens and berries and fruit trees and a patio set and a grill? Will that make me happy? :) We have already been discussing happiness, the folks and I, where it comes from and what it means......good times :)

1 comment:

Majid Ali said...

Please for Christ sake help this poor boy from Haiti
I have made a blog at blogger.com Since i have added a google adsense in the blog but haven't made a penny with this. I need your help and support to help me make some money to PAY MY Tuition Fees.

What you have to do is follow these simple steps

1.go to Google.com and search "Kwotz-Golden Words of Life"
2.then visit my blog from the the search results.
3.Remain on the page i.e Kwotz for one minute or so and do some random surfing
4. click ONE of the ads that appeals to you from AdChoices and visit there.
5.remain on that page for one minute or so and do some random surfing.
and that's it.

Note:Visit my blog from Google.com. Only ONE click is asked and nothing else
I will be very grateful to you.