Sep 11, 2012

Can I Spray Paint My Life?

 I thought I had just recently discovered the joy of spray paint. But as I sat down to write about this new found joy I realized that my first introduction to spray painting was when I lived in Indiana about 8 years ago....so not so new found. But as is often the case with me I did not realize what powerful information I had stumbled upon until about a year ago. For some reason it took me awhile to get the memo about if you have something old and yucky... yet still with potential and even some character you can spray paint it and no one will ever believe that it was once old and yucky.


I had a friend in Indiana named Jill who had the cutest house ever and the cutest furniture ever ...do you see a theme here? I was only a little bit jealous of the cuteness. One day I was helping her clean out some apartments that her father in law had just recently bought and she came across an old dresser that I saw absolutely no potential in it whatsoever but she snatched it right up and I had to ask why, and how, and when, and so many more questions. And that is when she bore her testimony to me about spray paint and all of a sudden I understood why her furniture, picture frames, accessories, and kids (JK) were so gosh darn cute. I have no idea what I thought spray paint was for up until that moment.... graffiti? :) But when I went home all of a sudden everything had potential.

I had a kitchen table and eight chairs that someone had given to me when we lived in Kansas. I liked them but I often wished the white part of them was a different color but I had never realized I had the power to change that. Now I understood. And the minute I got home from Jill's that day I looked at that table with new eyes. Jill surely had to have wished she had never told me about spray paint because I need tons of support when I do a project...no diving in and learning as we go for this girl. I will ask you questions until you think you are going to die. So between her, and my dear friend Joan, my table and chairs were transformed. And I never knew such happiness.

You would have thought immediately after this spray painting success that I would have gone wild...but I did not. We ended up moving to Massachusetts, life happened, and I did not think of spray paint again until last summer. One day we were on our paper route and there sitting at the end of someones driveway was an old, white, wicker chair. It spoke to me. I really wanted me some wicker. But I resisted. I have this problem about stopping and taking things that are intended to be taken. I know I need therapy for this but at least I can now admit it. So after driving by this chair that I really needed for two days I finally got up my courage to ask my kids to go get it for me :) They did it. And I was so happy. I washed the chair and ran to Home Depot for my trusty can of Colonial Red spray paint and I was definitely in love. But winter came and even I know you can not spray paint in the winter in Massachusetts so my fun was put on hold.

Since spring came and warmer temperatures I have been spray painting just enough to drive the children crazy and cause them to worry a little about what of their possessions I may spray paint. Some of the next victims were a bookshelf and some candle stick holder thingys. Yep, two projects at once. The bookshelf was my neighbors and was very blue. The pre spray paint Jennifer could have never seen past the blue but the new Jennifer knew immediately that there was hope. And in case you are planning an intervention for my addiction to Colonial Red spray paint I want to show you that I actually bought a different color for the bookshelf. Aren't I growing up nicely?

Speaking of buying different colors I had three chairs in my house that have been with us since Kansas and I needed them to look newer than they looked. I once again decided to branch out from my favorite Colonial Red and stood in the Home Depot spray paint aisle for a long time staring. I finally settled on Sage Green in gloss. When I got home I recognized this sage green thing was making me feel afraid so I chose the oldest looking of the chairs and went to town. When I was all done I decided hate was a good word for the color. And I am still praying about what color these three chairs should be :)


I am not so perfect at this spray painting thing. But I am learning it is very forgiving. My new goal is to stop those gosh darn drips forever more. I confess that I sometimes wish I could spray paint my life. Just a fresh coat of something glossy. I mean it is just so easy. And there are hardly any rules. Just shaking the can. Covering what you do not want color on. Sanding. Washing. Drying. And no wind :)

Here are the candlesticks from Goodwill. Fifty cents later. And yes, Colonial Red :) Duh!






3 comments:

Farm Girl said...

I LOVE all of these things you have painted! And I think the sage green looks great! I'm inspired. I'm headed to buy Colonial Red right now. :)

Annette said...

OH, if only we lived closer. I love paint. Spray paint is one of my favorite and I have born my testimony of its power to several people. I also love acrylics with a little brush for changing picture frames and other metalic or wood stuff. I even stained some rocks that were too orangish with concrete stain. AH, much better! I love paint! And I love your blog!

Kristy said...

I need to learn from your testimony of spray paint. How can I do that? What do I do about the drips? When are you coming to visit me?