Dec 1, 2013

My Deepest Admiration For Redwoods.

The Redwoods
Here, sown by the creators hand.
In serried ranks, the Redwoods stand;
No other clime is honored so,
No other lands their glory know.

The greatest of earths living forms,
Tall conquerers that laugh at storms;
Their challenge still unanswered rings,
Through fifty centuries of kings,

The nations that with them were young,
Rich empires, with their forts far flung,
Lie buried now their splendor gone;
But these proud monarchs still live on.

So shall they live, when ends our day,
When our crude citadels decay;
For brief the years allotted man,
but infinite perennials' span.

This is their temple, vaulted high,
And here we pause with reverent eye,
With silent tongue and awe struck soul;
For here we sense life's proper goal;

To be like these, straight, true and fine
To make our world, like theirs, a shrine.
Sink down, oh traveler, on your knees
God stands before you in these trees.

By Joseph B Strauss



I have done way too much reading about the Redwood trees lately. About two years ago in August I was in Oregon in the car with my parents driving to the Oregon Coast for a day visit and I asked my parents how far it was to the Redwoods. My dad replied with an amount of time that stunned me. I had no idea we were so close to the Redwoods and within 15 minutes our plans had changed and we were on our way to California to see The Redwoods. I was so excited. Words can not describe the Redwoods. Pictures can not capture the Redwoods. You simply have to go. When I think of something that is steadfast I think of a Redwood tree. When I think of something that is firm and resilient I think of a Redwood tree. Did you know redwoods taste nasty to bugs? Did you know Redwoods rarely catch fire because of the tannin in their bark? When they do happen to fall over new trees grow from the old tree.They never give up. I love this poem I found about them.... "Here we sense life's proper goal; to be like these, straight, true and fine To make our world like theirs a shrine." Have I made this my proper goal? Have I been straight, true and fine? Have I made my world a shrine? These trees inspire me as I weather storms.

No comments: