Jan 15, 2014

The Views.

I am pretty sure I have told you all before about my love of views. Not just "climb to the top of a mountain" type views, or "oh my, look at that sunset" views or even the "looking out the window of an airplane" views. Even though those are all magnificent and very desired by me. I also happen to love views of people. When they happen to do something they always do and you know them so well that you know it and it makes you smile and makes you realize how endearing they are and that you like your view of them. There is also the "way you see the world" views. Everyone's view of the world is different according to what they have been through. And last but not least are the views of things you see everyday and what those everyday views mean.

I thought today I would show you some of my every single day views. Things I see every day and what they mean to me :)

First, is action figure Eowyn. Eowyn sits in my window above the kitchen sink. This is a place of honor. Because I am standing at the sink looking out the window a lot. This is just a recent development. She has not always been in my window but I am pretty sure she will stay here forever. I love, love, love Eowyn. I have so many favorite quotes and stories about Eowyn that it would take paragraphs to share them all and dissect them all satisfactorily. So I will limit myself to two. In Return of The King J.R.R. Tolkien writes of Eowyn, "And then her heart changed, or at least she understood it; and the winter passed, and the sun shone upon her." I was stunned how well Tolkien knew me when he wrote this :)

Then there is the exchange she has with the ringwraith as she is protecting her fallen father in Return of The King;


“Begone, foul dwimmerlaik, lord of carrion! Leave the dead in peace!"

A cold voice answered: 'Come not between the Nazg├╗l and his prey! Or he will not slay thee in thy turn. He will bear thee away to the houses of lamentation, beyond all darkness, where thy flesh shall be devoured, and thy shrivelled mind be left naked to the Lidless Eye."

A sword rang as it was drawn. "Do what you will; but I will hinder it, if I may."

"Hinder me? Thou fool. No living man may hinder me!"

Then Merry heard of all sounds in that hour the strangest. It seemed that Dernhelm laughed, and the clear voice was like the ring of steel. "But no living man am I!” 

Take that ringwraith and Nazgul!! I love her courage. I love watching her grow, understand, accept what she needs to accept and change what she can change as she she experiences things. Oh, I have to go back on my promise and share one more quote. This one Eowyn says herself to Faramir after they are both healed in book three.

“I stand in Minas Anor, the Tower of the Sun; and behold! the Shadow has departed! I will be a Shieldmaiden no longer, nor vie with the great Riders, nor take joy only in the songs of slaying. I will be a healer, and love all things that grow and are not barren.” 


So on to my next view. Which is of this box. Lately there is always one of these flat rate boxes from the post office sitting on my counter by the phone. I have a child in the Philippines; a child, a daughter in law, and a grand baby in Estonia; a child at BYU in Utah; and a child in California. So I am in a constant state of gathering things for a box and then mailing them. I know all about mailing overseas and filling out custom forms and such. And considering I know all of that I should be much better at getting these boxes ready and out the door than I am.





My next view is this map. I look at this map everyday. It is on the wall in my big girls old  bedroom. I will throw myself on the bed in the room and stare and stare at this map and dream. I love traveling. Have I done much of it? No, I have not. But I hope someday that will change. My family got me a passport for my birthday and that could be trouble.
So a couple of years ago when Madeline went on her mission to El Salvador I got to take care of her i-pod shuffle while she was gone. This experience ruined me forever. Before I babysat the i-pod shuffle I was content to go on walks and even runs with my big, round cd player :) Yeah, I know :) But who could ever go back to that after the cute, adorable. clip on, sleek, teeny tiny i-pod shuffle? When Madeline got home from her mission I reluctantly handed over her i-pod shuffle and then was sad. I looked at them in the store....$46.00 seemed like so much. So I never committed. I borrowed Tatiana's Sansa music player when I was really desperate and continued to be without my very own music player for well over a year. But that all changed when for my birthday this year one friend in Utah and one sister in Pittsburgh sent me Amazon gift cards. I did not purchase right away I waited until Christmas was over just in case :) But alas just in case did not happen so after the first of the year I ordered my very own ipod shuffle using my giftcards. When it arrived I was in awe of how it arrived in this perfectly thought out box and the color of it was exactly what I had hoped it would be when I ordered it. The most perfect green ever. I called Madeline right away and she talked me through the ins and outs of Itunes and now I am supremely happy. I am so excited that this perfectly green square is now one of my views....every single day :)

My last view is so silly but honestly I see it and deal with it every single day. I have to explain to you that I am not a "curtain girl." I love to see out the windows. I love the light. I love views :) Yes, even at night when it is dark and I know that people can see in my house I still am not a big curtain fan. I only have curtains on four windows in my house and the first thing I do every morning is open them all. Actually two of them I should not have to open and this picture is of one of those. This curtain is in my kids bathroom and they untie it and let it down every single day...sometimes twice a day. I would be sort of okay with this if we lived in a neighborhood with houses all around us and possible
creepers... but the back of our house faces...woods....and more woods. Besides it is on the second floor and if you are in the backyard looking at the house you can not see into the bathroom. Yet, the children always let the curtain down and never put it back up. I know I am a crazy mom :) But this is about my views not theirs :) Here is a picture of how it is supposed to look :) Much better view...right? :)


No comments: