Dec 22, 2014

All Things Alice.

Remember way back in September when I spent a few days in Port Townsend, Washington ? Well every time I go there a big part of my trip is spent exploring every single store in Port Townsend's quaint downtown. I rarely buy anything but I love to look at everything in each store. This year something caught my eye. I did not buy it but I looked at it for a long time in the store and it stayed in my mind long after I was back home in Oregon. "They" say when this happens it means it was meant
to be and you should buy it immediately. So when October rolled around and my birthday was nearing I decided I would just look and see if I could find this item on Amazon and just see how much it was. It took me awhile to figure out the proper title of the book...yeah, I loved it so much I could not remember the name of the book :) But finally I found it and it is called "All Things Alice" by Linda Sunshine. I put the book in my shopping cart on Amazon and left it there for a few days. Don't you love doing that? Finally, in a moment of whim I decided I deserved it. Yes, deserved was the exact word. I felt guilty about the $25.00. But I knew I would never get this book unless I just did it myself.

I am not sure when my obsession with Alice in Wonderland began. I also am not sure where it ranks next to my Narnia and Lord of the Rings/Hobbit obsessions. But no matter, I definitely have a small obsession with Alice and her adventures......or maybe the obsession is with Lewis Carroll himself and the way he writes.

Um yeah I definitely did not stage this picture for you :)
Excuse me for a moment while I gush about how beautiful this book is. The pages are printed on thick paper. Each page is a different color. There is a pink ribbon book mark!! There are quotes from the book and quotes from people who have found wisdom in the books and a lush illustration on each page. (yeah, I think the word lush is grossly underused :) Inside the front cover the book is described as a, "collection of artwork, quotations, recipes and all sorts of things that were inspired by the works of Lewis Carroll."

I imagine none of us really understood what Alice in Wonderland really was the first time we read it or saw the movie. But I find the more I read about it and watch the movie the more I am delighted with it. Quotes that have so much meaning if you think for a moment.

I am trying to choose a few quotes to share with you but it is so hard. I love them all.


"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked. "Oh, you can't help that," said the cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad." "How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice. "You must be," said the cat,"or you wouldn't have come here."


"How puzzling all these changes are! I'm never sure what I'm going to be, from one minute to another!"


" I beg your pardon?" said Alice. "It isn't respectable to beg," said the King.

The caterpillar and Alice looked at each other for some time in silence. "Who are you?" said the caterpillar. This was not an encouraging opening for a conversation. Alice replied, rather shyly, "I-I hardly know, sir just at present-at least I know who i was when i got up this morning, but I think I must have been changed several times since then." 

"What do you mean by that?" said the Caterpillar sternly. "Explain yourself!" 

"I can't explain myself I'm afraid, sir, said Alice, "because I'm not myself, you see."



I could go on and on and on. I am thrilled with the discoveries I make when I read books like this and how I can take those discoveries and fit them into my life and make some sense of things.
One of my favorite blogs I ever blogged was in February of 2012 and it was about the Alice in Wonderland movie... here is the link if you are in the mood Muchness and jabberwockies.

No comments: