Apr 19, 2015

Aching.

Today is a beautiful April day. All the greens and blues that are outside are glaringly themselves...bright and true. I need a sweater because it is not too hot and not too cold. No clouds. Just endless blue sky. I have a long break from bus driving on Friday's...almost three hours. I never ever use this time wisely. Today I drove the thirty minutes to Eugene with intentions of buying some things my girls need and I came back to Cottage Grove with one thing, Ingrid Michaelsons newest cd. As I was driving the half hour back to Cottage Grove listening to Ingrid sing about life I realized it was trying to sneak in.... Mr.Aching. You never know when aching will strike. You have to be on your guard. I notice when I have lots of things going on in my life that is when aching tries to sneak in. You see when I have lots going on in my life I want someone to sit in the hammock with me and talk about it. Someone interested and sincere who I can say anything too. Did I say that out loud? Is it too much to expect? Then I am reminded there really isn't anyone...no offense family...I love ya but I know sometimes I can be a little much :)

Aching can mean having a dull continuous pain, or aching can be eager, yearning, or longing. I am lucky I get both kinds....sometimes together :) What brings it on? Thoughtful lyrics in music gets me every single time. And Ingrid had way too many thoughtful lyrics today. I really did not stand a chance of fighting Mr. Aching. (Yes, aching is a boy...duh :) Beautiful days and views can bring on the aching. Walking behind an old couple out of Kohls and listening to them discuss the merits of the Kohl's card they just got conned into may or may not have made me ache a little. Wanting to go see things with someone who wants to talk and see with me makes me ache. Seeing something funny and having no one to tell can be a little bit achy. The moon is the very worst offender when it comes to bringing on achy feelings. I wonder if other people ever feel achy?

I have to tell you I had a small shock when the thesaurus told me that words that are the opposite of aching happen to be experienced and healthy. What? So I would not ache anymore if I was experienced in what? Karate? Quoting Star Wars movies? Burying my feelings? Folding my socks? And healthy? As in eating quinoa? Yoga? Owning a Whole Foods grocery bag? Oh I know, it must mean reading nutrition labels :) Yeah, yeah, I know. But really, experienced? Does that mean the more I feel the aching feeling the more experienced I get in dealing with it and then suddenly one day  voila, aching is gone? Aching as an adjective means, "full of or precipitating nostalgia, grief, loneliness, etc." Why they put etc at the end I do not know. I honestly really want to know the rest of the list. I wonder if I took one of the dictionary.com people to lunch they would chat with me about etc? :) And while I have their attention I may ask them if we can make the word achy look a little bit more glamorous....aquee...akee....achey.....hmm something needs to be done :)

So the best thing to do when you are being bothered by Mr. Achy is to write your guts out. Which is obviously what I did and guess what? It worked :)

3 comments:

Joan said...

Writing is a good choice. I also sometimes use the tactic of throwing the door wide open and inviting Mr. Aching right on in to sit down with me for a while. Surprisingly, he never stays as long as I am afraid he will. I hope Amanda's homecoming was wonderful. I love you.

Anonymous said...

I don't much care for Ms. Achy nor Ms. Aching either...


Jennifer said...

hmmm now I am wondering if aching is feminine or masculine....dividing emotions into masculine and feminine....there's a good time :)