Sep 28, 2015

What Takes Priority?

I just can't help it guys I have so many questions and thoughts about the word priority that I think I may burst. Can you believe that my recent constant thoughts about this word is what has jolted me back into the blogging world? Speaking of priorities obviously, poor, neglected, blogging has not been a priority in my life lately. I was so discouraged when I realized I had not blogged since May 11th of this year. So much has happened since May 11th, so much to tell you about, so much to document, and what do I choose to start with?

Not my epic trip to Estonia in July.
Not my trip to Idaho/ Yellowstone/ Jackson Hole/So Much More, in August.
Not our multitude of day trips since May.
Not my musings about relationships....yeah, I spared you this time :)
Not my feelings about ice cream.
Not about me starting online school.
Not about my constant quest for the perfect shoes.
Not about failing at long distance dating when you are 46....fascinating topic...trust me.
Not all about living with your parents for an entire year.

No, I chose to start with a word...the word priority, no less. What is coincidental is that as I was sitting here, curled up in my chair, staring out the window thinking about the word priority my mom came by to ask me a question about mailing something and she held up one of those priority mail boxes from the United States Postal Service and asked me a question about it....she even used the word priority, which made me smile. What does it mean if you use a priority box from the post office? Well by definition priority means it will get special attention. It also means it has the right to precede others in rank, order and privilege. How does something achieve that right? Often it is because you pay for it. Or it also can simply be that it is in a certain box that identifies it as a priority. The guy at the post office has told me that anytime I send anything over the Mississippi River within the USA it is worth it to use a priority mail box. It saves me money. The weight limit for the box is twenty lbs and I have never packed one of these boxes anywhere near that weight. When I had missionaries in foreign countries I always used the priority mail boxes. They never, ever got lost. I kinds like that these boxes always cost the same amount to send no matter what it weighs. And I may secretly have a thing for the official looking box. I always feel safe using these boxes.They always get where I am sending them. They truly do appear to get the special attention a priority box should get.

What about if you are a person. What does it mean to be a priority to someone? They obviously do not just have to pay more for you or put you in an official priority box :) Do you know who you are a priority to? How do you know? I have been thinking about this and wondering who I know I am a priority to. Who puts me first? "They"say that the biggest way you show someone that they are a priority to you is through time. Time is our most valuable resource, you have to be intentional with your schedule and your calendar so that you let someone know they are important to you.

How on earth do we ever choose the rank, order, and privilege among everything that demands something from us? Religion, work, school, relationships, kids, telemarketers, exercise, book club, unfolded laundry.Why are Reeses more important to me than Starbursts? Why are my counters clean from clutter but my drawers a little messy? Why is straight hair a priority to me but not curly hair? Why do I never think twice about the gas money that it costs to get in the car and go anywhere? And just to complicate things our priorities change...all the time.

I have a friend in Massachusetts for whom exercise is a priority. No complaining about not having time. No complaining about not having money for the gym, No complaining about what to do with her little kids while exercising it just happens. Exercise is a priority for her. She knows she needs it and she makes it happen. Yeah, I idolize her :)

When I was a young mother teaching my kids to sleep through the night in their own beds was a priority to me. I did whatever it took for that to happen. If if it meant listening to them cry in the night....so be it. After they were 6 months old it meant that much to me that if you would have told me that if I stood on my head in a jungle while balancing a stack of pancakes on my feet my kids would sleep through the night in their own beds I would have done it.....yeah, a priority.

It used to be a priority to me to give out, way too many goody plates at Christmas time but one day I realized with a start that this was not a priority to me anymore. Other holiday things ranked higher so I switched up the priority list.

What in my life means enough to me that I would do anything to make it happen? What if I know what means a lot to me and I do not mean that much to it? Yeah, it happens.

No comments: