Nov 10, 2015

Will Tell You All Things What You Should Do.

So I need a place to have my papers I am writing so that I can have them saved and eventually put into my blog book. It is also more possible that my children will read them if I have them here rather than sending them torturous mom lecture emails :) So here is my second paper I have written this semester. I am having the best time writing these.....

Something that caught my attention as I was reading in 2nd Nephi 32:3 this week was the footnote by the word “tell” in the sentence, “for behold, the words of Christ will tell you all things what ye should do,” If you look down at the footnote it says, “TG Problem solving.” I was intrigued. Life is nothing but problem solving. Is this telling me that the words of Christ will help me with all my problem solving? His words will tell me, “all things what I should do?” As I was thinking about this idea I had the realization that, “Wait, does that say that problem solving is in the topical guide?” I wondered which scriptures the topical guide would have put under the heading of problem solving? I was surprised as I started going down the list of scriptures, looking them up, how many of the scriptures were well known, plain, often used scriptures that I would not have thought to use when it came to problem solving but all made perfect “ah ha” moment sense when I read them.

For example, James 1:5 was on the list, “If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.” Joseph Smith had a problem. He did not know what church to join. He recognized that the message in this scripture would help him solve his problem. So he acted on it and got an answer. When we are having a problem it actually means we are lacking wisdom. So this scripture is plain and simple in the instructions to use when you are having a problem, ask of God.


Another plain and simple, well used scripture that was under the heading of problem solving was Matthew 11:28. “Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.” It’s true, when we do have a problem heavy laden is a perfect way to describe how we feel. We do spend a lot of time labouring about our problem. Here again, in Matthew is a very simple answer to how to solve our problem. Come unto him.

In Doctrine and Covenants 9:8 we also get advice on problem solving. The words in this verse give us a little more information as to how we need to come to him. We cannot just simply ask. It says in this verse that we must also study the problem out in our mind then ask Heavenly Father if our thoughts and decisions on our problems are right. And it tells us how it will feel if we have solved our problem…our bosom shall burn within us. Which is a peaceful feeling.

I was very interested to find Doctrine and Covenants 88:124 listed under the heading of problem solving. But as I read again for the hundredth time, “Cease to be idle; cease to be unclean; cease to find fault one with another; cease to sleep longer than is needful; retire to thy bed early, that ye may not be weary; arise early, that your bodies and mind may be invigorated.” I wondered what does this verse have to do with problem solving? Then I thought about how if you are taking the advice that is listed in this verse you are most likely to have less problems and also you are likely to be in top form to deal with the problems that do come your way because you are well rested and your body will be invigorated.


            I was thrilled with all the discoveries and information that came with following this one little footnote for the word “tell”. Now I have a stronger testimony of the fact that we have a loving heavenly father that is genuinely interested in our problems and truly wants us to come to him with them and trust that he can and will help us with them. He will tell us all things what we should do. We just need to come to him prepared and trusting believing as it says in Matthew 7:7 that if we ask it shall be given to us.

No comments: