Dec 3, 2015

The Martian....And Life.

So, for some reason, I have seen the movie The Martian,  that one with Matt Damon in it, three times. I am not really the kind of girl that sees movies three times...(unless it is the 90's, I am lonely, and The Titanic is in theaters :) But, no matter, the facts are there and I did see The Martian;

 Once on October 9th on the Oregon Coast with most of my siblings.
 Once in Springfield with a dear friend.
And once last week with my darling 16 year old.

 It is not like I have been running around raving about this movie and dying to see it again and again. It just has happened. I have enjoyed every single time I have seen this movie and actually this last time I saw it I had a major epiphany I needed to blog about, you see, in the last three minutes of the movie the main character, Mark Watney, says;

"At some point, everything's gonna go south on you and you're going to say, this is it, this is how I end. Now you can either accept that, or you can get to work. That's all it is. You just begin. You do the math.You solve one problem and you solve the next one, and then the next. And if you solve enough problems then you get to come home."

Great quote, right? So let me give you a little background just in case you have not feasted your eyes on this movie. And if you have seen it then take a little nap and I will wake you up when I get to my point :) So basically in this movie Mark Watney AKA Matt Damon accidentally gets left on Mars. Due to this accidental leaving the movie is a series of events that happen to him while he and NASA are trying to figure out a way home for him. And believe me all kinds of stuff can go wrong when you are on Mars....alone.

So, the entire movie, as bad things happen to Mark Watney, bad things that you think no one all alone on Mars can possibly survive...Mark survives. He painstakingly figures it out each and every time he has a setback. It is not easy....duh. He really has to work hard...like the doing lots of math, gross labor, and figuring logistics sort of hard. All while wearing an awkward, huge, heavy looking space suit.This third time as I watched it, yet again, even knowing that he makes it....oh, sorry did you not want to know that? :) I was struck between the eyes with this thought.....

I was stuck on Mars too.

You know what I mean, right? There are moments in all of our lives where everything is going to go south and you can not deny that you wonder, or possibly, you even shout it out loud. "Is this how I end? And then I love that really we all do exactly what he said, we either accept that it is how we end or we get to work to fight it for all we are worth. My tendency is to accept for awhile and then I usually ask myself the, "Is this how I end?" question way too many times, stalling, before I know what I have to do. And then after eons of thinking, question asking, praying and googling I finally make a decision. Just one. But it magically starts things off and gives me courage. I usually eat a Reeses after this first decision, just because.

Mark says it..."You just begin." You won't know the end if you don't begin. I keep telling myself that. So many beginnings are staring at me. I am in the beginning of school. I am in the beginning of work. I am in the beginning of being in charge of my own finances. I am in the beginning of maybe finding someone who knows all about the lack of a top on my toothpaste tube and can still love me. I am in the beginning of standing on the scale everyday :) I am in the beginning of figuring out what I am going to be when I grow up. And it is just like Mark Watney says, "You solve one problem, and you solve the next one, and then the next and if you solve enough problems then you get to come home." This is life. Solving one problem after the other. Maybe NASA would help me solve my problems?

No comments: