Apr 24, 2016

If You Think You Can, You Can?

Well here it is, more than two months since I last blogged;

Getting an education,

driving a school bus,
solving life's problems,
occasionally taking a road trip,
folding socks,
keeping everyone happy,
making sure everyone feels loved,
planning a wedding,
dealing with the last 13 year old I will ever have,
planning church lessons,
reading book club books,
track meets,
worrying about my 7 children, 

all seem to be very effectively filling my blogging time.


 I miss telling you about my life and my insights....this is where you say you miss reading about them :) I have so much to tell you I am not sure where to start my mind is overflowing. Yes, this is normal for over thinkers.


Actually, that is what I should blog about, our minds. This should be epic, an over thinker blogging about her brain. Go get some snacks this should be good.


This last semester I had to choose a personal finance book from a list of nine books my teacher gave me. I researched and carefully considered each of the options. I chose one book and then when it came in the mail I just knew that it was not the one and I switched. I ended up reading a book called Think And Get Rich by Napoleon Hill. This book was written in the 1930's and I just had to know if it was still relevant what thinking had to do with getting rich. At first I liked the book. Then I hated it. And then I loved it. It made me think and think about my brain and how it works. It inspired me to make some changes in how I think about things. And it has caused me to annoyingly bring it up in every conversation I possibly can. (yeah, run if you see me coming)


Henry Ford said, "If you think you can do a thing or think you can't do a thing, you're right." Overthink that quote for just a minute...just you and me....here....I won't tell anyone. So does that mean anything I declare I don't like or can't do is really all in my head? Can I really do it if I just think I can? Can I like leftovers if I just tell myself I can and believe it? (shhh do not tell my mom) Are all our barriers to what we want in life really just psychological?


So if I want to get a job in Alaska I can?

So if I want to be a school teacher, I can?
If I want a cozy little house of my own with a yard and a garden, I can?
If I want straight hair and not curly, I can? (nice try, huh?)

Check out this perfect quote from the author of this book,



 “Nature has endowed man with absolute control over but one thing, and that is thought. If you fail to control your own mind, you may be sure you will control nothing else. If you must be careless with your possessions, let it be in connection with material things. Your mind is your spiritual estate. Protect and use it with the care to which divine royalty is entitled. You were given a will power for a purpose,”



Sometimes my mind is my best friend and reminds me just when I need it about a dear friend who did something nice for me and made me feel loved. 

Sometimes my mind is my enemy and reminds me of all the things I did wrong raising my children. Or all the silly, unthinking things I have said at various times in my life. Or the bad choices I made. Doubt, indecision, and fear are the names of the 


Sometimes my mind is scared. What if I have ruined my children with my divorce? What if I can not pass this class? What if the company that makes Reeses goes out of business? What if no one ever loves me?


Sometimes my mind is happy. When I smell fresh cut grass. When I see the sun come up. Watch the sun go down. When I finish something that was hard. When that handsome fifth grade teacher at a school in our town smiles at me. When I pass my yearly bus evaluation. When I take a road trip.


Sometimes my mind is very heavy. Problems I do not know how to solve. Hard things I have to do. Decisions I need to make that I do not want to. I could use a hammock.


Do you believe that your emotion and your mindset are what keeps you from succeeding? I love that in the last month (yeah, I am a late bloomer) I have not just learned but internalized that I can control my future. Mr Hill, the author of that personal finance book I read said it so perfectly;



"You are the master of your own earthly destiny just as surely as you have the power to control your own thoughts. You may influence, direct, and eventually control your own environment, making your life what you want it to be-or, you may neglect to exercise the privilege which is yours, to make your life to order, thus casting yourself upon the broad sea of circumstance where you will be tossed hither and yon, like a chip on the waves of the ocean."

No comments: